No announcement yet.

Civilization: Beyond Earth Likely To Drop Intel/AMD Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's face it: It got far too easy to get away for developers blaming AMD's Catalyst.
    Simply because every self-proclaimed Linux expert tells you that AMD's proprietary driver is a mere catastrophe.
    No matter if the drivers are really that bad: You prove a deep knowledge of Linux telling everyone how bad Catalyst is.

All I want to say is that I'm sure a critical mass has been reached where anecdotal issues of the Catalyst
    typically feeds the negative reputation while it's just the other way around for NVidia.
    It's a lost battle for AMD on Linux. At least I don't see a chance for AMD to change that in the
    foreseeable future, unfortunately.

As for Aspyr:
    The Borderlands 2 Linux release runs awfully slow on my AMD system (Phenom II, Radeon HD 7950).
    Under Windows, the same systems runs the game PERFECTLY smooth. Well, they said AMD is not yet officially supported.
    However, since they released the port (IIRC beginning of October) there has been no patch, no statement what's wrong
    and what AMD users can expect. Mind you: this game is based on UE3, so a bleeding edge Direct3D version shouldn't
    be an issue here. Really disappointing...

Comment

Reminds me about Blender's new render engine, Cycles, that only supports CUDA. The developers claim AMD's OpenCL driver isn't good enough, yet LuxRender seems fine with it.

Comment

Sigh

For all the people bashing Aspyr with the assumption that they've written off AMD support, please actually read the blog post and comments following it.

They do intend to support AMD cards as soon as possible, it's just that it's taking more work to do so than the Nvidia cards. So at the time of release it's likely that only Nvidia will supported, but this isn't yet set in stone.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Um....

15 years ago we shipped only open source drivers. The first proprietary drivers arrived when we purchased FireGL and started using their workstation driver ~12 years ago.

The open source driver effort restarted >7 years ago, so we were proprietary-only for less than 5 years.
          Thank you for injecting some sense into some of these comments... XD

Comment

Originally posted by baffledmollusc View Post
            For all the people bashing Aspyr with the assumption that they've written off AMD support, please actually read the blog post and comments following it.
            Its not only about AMD Support, the point is that they currently only support Nvidia.

Comment

They should let AMD/Intel know, so they could update their drivers. Valve even sent them source code, so they are able to optimize their drivers.-

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                They should let AMD/Intel know, so they could update their drivers.
                In the Blog someone say that this doesn't matter. They target Ubuntu 14.04 and there is a "old" Mesa Version and older drm Modules. So even if the foxes land Upstream, thats doesn't help now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                  In the Blog someone say that this doesn't matter. They target Ubuntu 14.04 and there is a "old" Mesa Version and older drm Modules. So even if the foxes land Upstream, thats doesn't help now.
                  And if it's running in Steam, that probably implies a Ubuntu 12.04 chroot. Hello, compatibility bugs

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                    Reminds me about Blender's new render engine, Cycles, that only supports CUDA. The developers claim AMD's OpenCL driver isn't good enough, yet LuxRender seems fine with it.
                    Go ahead and fix it, the source is at your fingertips.

I'm sure the Blender developers are just incompetent idiots like the Aspyr guys. You will be able to fix this in no time, because obviously it cannot be the fault of the driver.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nille View Post
                      There is no reason to complicate things card/vendor/driver are just examples, Windows requirements translate to *DirectX 11 software and DirectX 10.1 hardware or Mantle*

If Linux version require OpenGL 4 capable chips then they can say: *OpenGL 4 software/hardware with proper drivers*

In both cases they should just note *The latest drivers may be required to play* and that is about it

Comment

Working...
                      X