Civilization: Beyond Earth Likely To Drop Intel/AMD Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    lol bunch of n00bs here who probably can't even put a simple triangle on the screen using OpenGL accusing Apsyr (over 10 years of exp. with OpenGL) off not wanting to support all vendors. OpenGL drivers on Linux are broke as hell. Deal with it.
    So all those other games working (Serious Sam 3, Metro, Witcher 2 etc.) are just our imagination ?

Comment

Probably the same situation like with many titles in the past. Devs just use NV cards for development and next they are suprised why this app doesn't work on other cards... OGL on NV cards is really problematic, because these drivers allow to do things which are not available in specification. NvidiaGL != OpenGL, but it looks like many developers don't understand that.

Comment

Have anyone of you people who's accusing Aspyr for being lazy/incompetent actually read any of their blog posts? BE is a DX11 game, and they've had a lot of issues porting it to OpenGL. I would assume they need to target the newer versions of OpenGL to achieve parity with the DX11, and it's a sad fact that the Intel and AMD drivers aren't at parity when it comes to support for the newest OpenGL versions. Yes it sucks, and ideally I'd wish they'd isolate the offending extensions and offer an option to disable the effects that require them. But accusing Aspyr for not even trying is ludicrous.

Comment

Originally posted by pixo View Post
          So they coded in NvidiaGL and not in OpenGL.
          Or maybe with some luck we will finally see a port that uses an up to date version of OpenGL with tessellation, DSA, and other features, and the Linux port will not be ridiculed yet again (feeding those anti-OpenGL FUD blogs) for running at half the frame rate of the Windows version and being limited to Direct3D 9 quality effects. Once the excuse of "but no one uses OpenGL 4 anyway, so not supporting it is a non-issue" is no longer valid, maybe the Mesa developers will put more effort into completing it, and Linux 3D graphics acceleration will no longer lag half a decade behind Windows/Direct3D. Until that happens, there is a vicious circle that game developers do not use OpenGL 4.x because of the lacking non-Nvidia driver support, and Mesa developers do not care because no games require it. Apparently, out of more than 1100 Linux gamers asked, 69% uses Nvidia GPUs, and the proprietary driver for those supports OpenGL 4.5, so it is time for a game to actually take full advantage of that, and force the other drivers to move forward faster.

Comment

Originally posted by huyderman View Post
            Have anyone of you people who's accusing Aspyr for being lazy/incompetent actually read any of their blog posts? BE is a DX11 game, and they've had a lot of issues porting it to OpenGL. I would assume they need to target the newer versions of OpenGL to achieve parity with the DX11, and it's a sad fact that the Intel and AMD drivers aren't at parity when it comes to support for the newest OpenGL versions. Yes it sucks, and ideally I'd wish they'd isolate the offending extensions and offer an option to disable the effects that require them. But accusing Aspyr for not even trying is ludicrous.
            LOL, people are not accusing them of not trying, but of giving up.

And yes if your code only works with one vendor, the probability is high that your code is the issue and not the drivers (from my experience with OpenGL and especially Nvidias version of OpenGL).

The more interesting question here is, whether this OpenGL experts at Aspyr actually have contacted Intel/AMD driver devs or not?

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
              LOL, people are not accusing them of not trying, but of giving up.

And yes if your code only works with one vendor, the probability is high that your code is the issue and not the drivers (from my experience with OpenGL and especially Nvidias version of OpenGL).

The more interesting question here is, whether this OpenGL experts at Aspyr actually have contacted Intel/AMD driver devs or not?
              actually, my interpretion would be: they postpone the amd/intel support until the drivers properly support it. apart from that, as one already mentioned, the ironic fact is that civ:be is an amd mantle title and has nothing todo with nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by altarius View Post
                actually, my interpretion would be: they postpone the amd/intel support until the drivers properly support it. apart from that, as one already mentioned, the ironic fact is that civ:be is an amd mantle title and has nothing todo with nvidia
                Mantle is Windows stuff, so not sure what you are trying to say here...

Comment

Originally posted by altarius View Post
                  the ironic fact is that civ:be is an amd mantle title and has nothing todo with nvidia
                  And the company that make the Linux Port is not the game developer there is no relation.

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
                    Are they talking AMD OSS or AMD FGLRX ? I can't see why they would have an issue on FGLRX with any modern extension. Sure performance can be glitchy at times but that's just an optimization task.

Anyway after I have seen Witcher 2 run very good with great graphics on OSS AMD drivers and that's a wrapped game, I can't imagine a game developer having problems on Linux/AMD. Either they are lazy or stupipd.
                    If it's just tearing, doesn't sound like a showstopper to me. If it's actual corruption, sounds bad

Comment

What I find most suprising is that people didn't expect this. AMD's binaries are crap and Mesa is not OpenGL 4 compliant. Comparing this game to The Witcher 2 doesn't work as that port uses OpenGL 3.3, while this game seems to use newer extensions. The claim that they got Nvidia sponsoring them doesn't work either: AMD is actually sponsoring the game (best played on Radeon, etc.), and why would Nvidia spend so much money on such a small marketshare?

Just gonna leave this here.
                      Last edited by clementl; 04 December 2014, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X