Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desura Steam On Linux Alternative Gets Acquired

Phoronix: Desura Steam On Linux Alternative Gets Acquired

Desura, the digital distribution platform that's similar in nature to Valve's Steam client and is popular with indie game studios, has been sold off by Linden Labs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The new owners have a lot of work ahead, especially in Linux. The Desura client (including the Desurium fork) is a mess of bugs and brokenness. And the games list is littered with junk -- a word I don't use lightly. I'm talking about stuff that would barely count as an alpha, bizarre experiments that don't even work, and jokes. Actually, some of the stuff on Desura makes me wonder if I'm downloading a trojan.

Desura has the most potential to become a Steam alternative, but somebody really needs to step in and lead.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
      The new owners have a lot of work ahead, especially in Linux. The Desura client (including the Desurium fork) is a mess of bugs and brokenness. And the games list is littered with junk -- a word I don't use lightly. I'm talking about stuff that would barely count as an alpha, bizarre experiments that don't even work, and jokes. Actually, some of the stuff on Desura makes me wonder if I'm downloading a trojan.

Desura has the most potential to become a Steam alternative, but somebody really needs to step in and lead.
      Is there much hope in digital game distribution ?stores??

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        Is there much hope in digital game distribution ?stores??
        Yes, you just have to run them right... see GOG and Steam

Comment

As someone who recently got a game released on Desura, I sadly have to agree. Itch.io is even better of a site, however, the large amount of games released every day makes it really really hard to get noticed on it compared to Desura.

Comment

Insider info from my contact, let's call him Deep Throat: the new cross-platform client will be made with Unity. So technically it's not native anywhere.

Comment

I've used Desura before, but now that GOG is on board with Linux support, I don't really see the need to any more.

Comment

I would think that GOG with Galaxy has the most potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
                  I second this.

Comment

Originally posted by sbolokanov View Post
                    Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
                    I second this.
                    I third this. I logged in just to say this as well. How anyone can think that Desura offers greater competition to Steam than GOG is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
                    X