No announcement yet.

Civilization: Beyond Earth Overcoming Linux GPU Driver Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You mean through wine? I guess it takes a while for big companies to move to OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      Yea, a huge release delay, because of VendorGL and all the Problems. The portability of OpenGL is a lie.
      all what problems? Modern core openGL is well supported and has been for a few years.

Comment

OpenGL problem with AMD [s]on Linux[/s]?
        On the free world side, nouveau will have much more difficulties to run Beyond Earth than r600g/radeonsi.

Who one is blocking D3D for GNU/Linux? The API is documented and each one can take a look at it.
        There is already a multi-platform and open standard, which was even in the world 3 years before Direct3D. Why "we" should porting a new one (which we will be anyway not open to contribution) ?

Comment

Hmm... I think that this is just advertising for their next game, really.

Most games go through rounds of performance enhancements in the last few months before release. In general, you go for a balance between "looks terrible, but runs at 120fps" and "photo-slideshow".

Plenty of other devs manage to deal with OpenGL - even if they don't exactly love it. Ironically, as an "open" standard, they could go to Khronos and help define it.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
            On the free world side, nouveau will have much more difficulties to run Beyond Earth than r600g/radeonsi.
            The Foss drivers are not a target for the Game Studios.

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
            There is already a multi-platform and open standard, which was even in the world 3 years before Direct3D.
            Because its Broken and no one cares? and yes its Open, each one implement it on a different way and each implementation is not really compatible with the other.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              all what problems? Modern core openGL is well supported and has been for a few years.
              Pretty sure they were talking about how each vendor implements OpenGL in different ways... different enough that sometimes the same set of functions on one vendor will output COMPLETELY different stuff than on another. Thus, OpenGL isn't really "portable", as even though you are writing in one API, you have to treat it as several different APIs. Having to write vendor-specific code with a "vendor-neutral API" is sad.

Who one is blocking D3D for GNU/Linux? The API is documented and each one can take a look at it.
              Exactly! In fact, D3D9 is already available on Linux for applications to make use of (through Gallium3D). The fact that only a forked Wine version currently uses it is not the fault of the API or the devs of that state tracker: it's the fault of the community. They reject it merely because it's developed at Microsoft and fail to look at the benefits of having and using it. (There's also the bit about it only being on like, two drivers and it not being a full version of the API yet, but whatevs)

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              He, he, then DirectX must be more portable It is avalible on all platforms which Microsoft supports, but Civilization: Beyond Earth is only supported on Windows
              The sad part is that because DirectX is so well documented, and rigid in it's specifications, it would end up being more portable if it was implemented on OSx and Linux. Game developers would have to write much less platform/vendor specific code. Aspyr Media's job would be about 10x easier, if not more.

P.S. this is where I point out that I'm talking out of my ass and going off of what I've heard from the people around me (people who love OpenGL even). I don't personally partake in the use of graphics APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                Ironically, as an "open" standard, they could go to Khronos and help define it.
                But Khronos dont force that each Vendor implement it correct. There is nothing from khronos that test the implementations (e.g. with piglit but with more tests) if they work like documented.

Comment

Aspur doing their job to port new Civ, to convert direct3d 11 renderer to opengl ... that is not easy even if they do renderer converting for Windows.

Someone really need to try opposite - to convert OpenGL to Direct3D, that is not easy too .

Nah, usual porting job at Aspur
                  Last edited by dungeon; 27 October 2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

But Khronos dont force that each Vendor implement it correct. There is nothing from khronos that test the implementations (e.g. with piglit but with more tests) if they work like documented.
                    Actually, there is: https://www.khronos.org/conformance/ dunno how good it is, though. My understanding is that it about the same quality/coverage as Piglit.

I do think that it is incumbent on devs to submit test cases to Piglit even for bugs they find in Catalyst/Nvidia BLOBs. I am certain that Nvidia and AMD run Piglit internally.

Comment

2 things:

First: What's the difference between this game and Pandora by Slitherine? Except that Pandora is available now, looks better and runs on Linux without a hitch?

Second: The next person to say that Nvidia drivers on Linux are better than AMD drivers will get all my accumulated hate on Nvidia for FREE. Seriously, their drivers aren't even installable without taking half the system apart (you've to kill your X server to install it. Wtf? Why? Oh, right...Nvidia). Their error messages are basically 'this does not work. Why? Fuck you, that's why!'. And getting 3D performance out of an older card is impossible (hello nouveau...).

Nothing better than AMD. Runs instantly (thanks Mesa/Radeon) and if you ever need Catalyst...well just download and install it. It even has a graphical user interface. THAT'S RIGHT NVIDIA, AMD IS ABLE TO INSTALL THEIR DRIVERS WITH A RUNNING XSERVER.

Oh and don't get me started on that bumblebee bullshit. Does that work for anyone? Yeah, didn't think so.

Fuck you, nvidia. Just, fuck you.

Comment

Working...
                      X