Dead Island GOTY Now Available On Linux/SteamOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Sounds right to me. RMS has over and over ranted on how the best attack against proprietary things is not to use them. He does not preach for using them illegally. The best any single individual can do is to only use your money on OSS, never use proprietary and further try to silence proprietary to death as far as possible so it doesn't get free advertisement.
    RMS is surely entitled to his own opinion and I respect that.
    I don't believe in a black and white approach.
    On one hand, in the last 15 years I moved dozens of *large* projects from Windows server/desktops to RHEL and my company is built around OSS software.
    On the other hand, I have no issues with running DRM protected software on my Linux desktop.
    There's a place for both.

The OP wasn't against using DRM software - quite on the contrary - he simply cited "ideological reasons" for paying for it.

- Gilboa
    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
      Last time I checked, neither RMS nor Linus preached in favor of software piracy in-order to "persuade" ISV's for open up the DRM used by their software.
      It is a sensitive subject since digital freedom has an aweful lot of enemies ready to pounce but no, every talk I have been to by RMS has a large section on beating protections and freeing our devices if we must use them. i.e Computer bios, tablets, phones, software, everything.

But also, noone is really mentioning piracy here. Like I said, buy the software if you like it but only ever run the unrestricted version from torrents. No piracy involved at all so perhaps that taboo word in aid of a strawman argument should be laid to rest since it tends to derail the task of looking for a solution with sensationalism.
      Last edited by kpedersen; 27 October 2014, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
        How do I buy the game if steam doesn't list it for German users?
        You could try to get (virtually) out of germany by using this link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/91310/?cc=at

This hasn't been tested and Valve might permanently disable your account cause of this, so use at your own risk!

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          It is a sensitive subject since digital freedom has an aweful lot of enemies ready to pounce but no, every talk I have been to by RMS has a large section on beating protections and freeing our devices if we must use them. i.e Computer bios, tablets, phones, software, everything.
          I'm the last man on earth to protect DRM, I hate it.
          ... and yet, everybody, including RHEL has some form of it (including my company) due to pricing / licensing / support considerations.

But also, noone is really mentioning piracy here. Like I said, buy the software if you like it but only ever run the unrestricted version from torrents. No piracy involved at all so perhaps that taboo word in aid of a strawman argument should be laid to rest since it tends to derail the task of looking for a solution with sensationalism.
          If it makes you feel better, go right ahead. I doubt that it'll change anything.

- Gilboa
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by jsa1983 View Post
            Have you reported that anywhere in the steam forums so I can add a +1 there?
            Or, maybe more important, to Mesa? Well, I just did (for r600g, feel free to open new bug reports for radeonsi/intel/... and cross-link them) : https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=85564

Comment

anyone got this working with radeonSI now? I am on mesa 10.5, kernel 4, llvm 3.6.1 and it still crashes after charakter selection.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                anyone got this working with radeonSI now? I am on mesa 10.5, kernel 4, llvm 3.6.1 and it still crashes after charakter selection.
                Still the same for me with current mesa, kernel and llvm-3.9...

Comment

Working...
                X