Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Island GOTY Now Available On Linux/SteamOS

Phoronix: Dead Island GOTY Now Available On Linux/SteamOS

For those longing to play the Dead Island action RPG / survival horror game on Linux, the Game of the Year Edition of Dead Island is now available!..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgyMjc

unrelated but springrts engine got a new version a couple weeks ago
    balanced annihilation is a good game

Comment

How about the performance? Does it use eON?

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        How about the performance? Does it use eON?
        I uninstalled Witcher 2 because of its abysmal performance on my system (i7 - GTX660). Can't say the same about DI - runs very smooth.

Comment

Has anyone managed to run Dead Island on radeonsi / mesa? I get a buffer overflow with radeonsi when I hit select character under new game (i.e. when the game should load the first level).

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
            I uninstalled Witcher 2 because of its abysmal performance on my system (i7 - GTX660). Can't say the same about DI - runs very smooth.
            you can get far better performance playing witcher 2 through wine with CSMT or galliumnine, it's pretty sad :/
            If witcher 3 is going to be like this, i don't want it.

Comment

Originally posted by jsa1983 View Post
              Has anyone managed to run Dead Island on radeonsi / mesa? I get a buffer overflow with radeonsi when I hit select character under new game (i.e. when the game should load the first level).
              I get it to run, problem is everything is blue like it's missing textures, maybe a workaround or something but haven't had time to figure it out

Comment

I have tried running the game with catalyst under Kubuntu 14.04 with Steam's runtime libgcc and libstdc (which cause conflict with newer mesa versions since llvm is compiled with a newer gcc version) and the game runs ok. So I guess it is a problem with Kubuntu 14.10's libstdc and libgcc libs or a problem in mesa.

@nightmarex: With regard to the mesa textures, since I had only managed to run it till the character selection I didn't notice the textures were wrong (I thought they should look like that), but after playing for a few minutes with catalyst, you are right the textures show incorrectly, and also do in that selection screen.
                What is your distro, btw?

Comment

Fix shader problem using open source drivers

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                  I get it to run, problem is everything is blue like it's missing textures, maybe a workaround or something but haven't had time to figure it out
                  I had this problem too, and solved it using this :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/91310/...40109821198853

Basically, you need to add this to ~/.drirc (create the file if it does not exist) :

<driconf>
                  <device>
                  <application name="DeadIsland" executable="DeadIslandGame"/>
                  <option name="allow_glsl_extension_directive_midshader" value="true"/>
                  </application>
                  </device>
                  </driconf>

The screen where you choose your character now render correctly, but then the game crash when loading the first level (haven't managed to solve this one yet).

Comment

Fix for shader problem using open-source drivers

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                    I had this problem too, and solved it using this :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/91310/...40109821198853

Basically, you need to add this to ~/.drirc (create the file if it does not exist) :

<driconf>
                    <device>
                    <application name="DeadIsland" executable="DeadIslandGame"/>
                    <option name="allow_glsl_extension_directive_midshader" value="true"/>
                    </application>
                    </device>
                    </driconf>

The screen where you choose your character now render correctly, but then the game crash when loading the first level (haven't managed to solve this one yet).

Comment

Working...
                    X