Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borderlands 2 Launches On Steam For Linux

Phoronix: Borderlands 2 Launches On Steam For Linux

Borderlands 2 is available today as the newest action RPG / first person shooter on Linux. Borderlands 2 -- a game powered by a modified Unreal Engine 3 -- is now available natively via a port done by Aspyr Media...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm, I tried installing it, but it doesn't actually download any files. :/

Comment

I just peed a little. Unfortunately, I won't be playing it any time soon for the following reasons:

1. I just beat the game a month ago. I like to give a little time before I jump right back into a game
      2. I needed crossfire for it to run smooth
      3. The game is much better with surround sound. Unless it has live 5.1 DTS encoding, I won't be able to play this with surround in linux (I use SPDIF). On that note, if anybody knows of a way to do this for any game, some assistance would be much appreciated. Aside from AC3 capable files, I don't get any surround sound in linux and it's one of the only major hardware restrictions I suffer compared to Windows (with crossfire being the other primary issue I have).

Comment

Have it already, HOWEVER-

I already have this game on Steam and I can't wait to try it on Linux - now I'm saying this because atm it doesn't download anything. It just finishes download after 0 bytes, so I'm guessing they haven't made the game itself downloadable by now. It just shows up in my Linux-games collection.

Now I noticed that Outlast also popped up(a game I also own....) and it is fully able to be downloaded though. http://imgur.com/hT0AjQ7 Now as it happens by now, Outlast unfortunately is missing the executeable to start the game in Linux - too bad
        Now I thought I had two awesome games at once, and then non of them are playable Presumeably both games with be available soon for either download or start :P

Another thing I thought was nice was the system requirements for Borderlands 2 The Pre-sequel: http://imgur.com/04PQVXX - notice the last sentence!

Comment

Can anyone confirm if the Linux version will Steam sync an existing game with the Windows version?

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            Hmm, I tried installing it, but it doesn't actually download any files. :/
            me too

Comment

I just ran it for a few minutes at the title screen. The title screen seems to run well with my mobile Haswell APU (i7-4910MQ). The title screen isn't the full game by any means, but it does show various real time rendered environments. It started at 1024x768, but I raised it to 720p and it was still smooth. I'll have to play with the settings more later, although I do intend to mostly run it on my desktop (GTX 780 which I hope to soon upgrade to a GTX 980).

Does anyone know if Icculus did this port? It's UE3, so maybe...?

Originally posted by emptythevoid View Post
              Can anyone confirm if the Linux version will Steam sync an existing game with the Windows version?
              As soon as the title screen came up, it said something about finding a previous game and restoring it. I can't play the game right now as I'm at work, but it seems like the answer to your question is yes it does.

Comment

Aspyr-Media has been on the Steam forums today and they just answered my question about the cloud sync.

" Cross platform Cloud Sync is disabled (just as it is on the Mac). The reason: if the versions mismatch for some reason, its possible for that 220 hour save game to get corrupted. You can still manually move the files over tho, no biggie. "

So, no, cloud sync is disabled, but yes, the game save data can be transferred.

Comment

Has anyone tried it with the Gallium3D Radeon driver? I'll wait to buy it, I don't want to use Catalyst

The game will be at 5? for the next 40 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
                    I just ran it for a few minutes at the title screen. The title screen seems to run well with my mobile Haswell APU (i7-4910MQ). The title screen isn't the full game by any means, but it does show various real time rendered environments. It started at 1024x768, but I raised it to 720p and it was still smooth. I'll have to play with the settings more later, although I do intend to mostly run it on my desktop (GTX 780 which I hope to soon upgrade to a GTX 980).
                    The title screen is actually relatively demanding. There's a lot being rendered and it directly reflects the graphics options you select.

Does anyone know if Icculus did this port? It's UE3, so maybe...?
                    No, I believe the development team is called Aspyr.

Comment

Working...
                    X