Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Is Getting Close To Launching On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1

already got nearly 300 hours, hope linux can help me get past the 400 hour mark

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      I had a completely opposite experience when trying CS (the original 1.6). I found it exquisitely boring, with every pro player doing the exact same thing every time.

There was no strategy. It was like they had memorized the map from all sides and just pressed buttons with the exact timing they had learned. Each round they camped at the exact same spot, ran the same passage at the exact same time, and so on. The only thing that differed in their play was aiming at moving opponents obviously.

For the life of me I could not see the fun in that.
      It's like asking a 6-year child to watch a professional chess match. The child thinks players are just moving pieces and finds it pretty boring because it takes so long...
      Unless you play in a ranked match, AKA competitively, you will fail to see the "strategy" because it is too complex for you to even understand what you're looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        I had a completely opposite experience when trying CS (the original 1.6). I found it exquisitely boring, with every pro player doing the exact same thing every time.

There was no strategy. It was like they had memorized the map from all sides and just pressed buttons with the exact timing they had learned. Each round they camped at the exact same spot, ran the same passage at the exact same time, and so on. The only thing that differed in their play was aiming at moving opponents obviously.

For the life of me I could not see the fun in that.
        There is pro players and skilled pro players. The skilled pro players usually get the choice of doing stuff alone, as in they are the hunter, the one free to roam around. I played 1.6 in cal and in live leagues, never did what you say people do, I was a hunter. Glock, Scout and Flash Bangs were my best friends in those days. Even when my entire team was down I still could clinch matches.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          I've never played any Counter Strike game, can someone fill me in as to what makes this so popular? Say in comparison to the likes of Battlefield 4 (which I've played 70+ hrs of) and CoD (which I've not played online, but I pretty much know what it's about).
          I'm from Brazil, at the time i was playing CS (circa 2006), building a game pc was (and still is) expensive, and CS was one of those games that could run in any computer, especially in lan houses.
          Battlefield and CoD would require a stronger hardware, which would be hard to find a friend/lan house to play with

Comment

It's about time... I bought a copy of CS:GO just before Steam for Linux was announced. I've played it on Windows a few times, but mostly it's sat in my library unused. Why? Because my main desktop computer spends 95% of its time booted into a non-windows environment (currently Ubuntu Gnome. Previously Mint, Manjaro, Ubuntu classic, others).

Now that Civ 5 and TF2 are available and soon CS:GO will be too, the only games that I play that I'm missing are Eve Online (works in wine), and Skyrim (which won't ever be ported).

Comment

Will buy that and hence push above 1% users...hahaha

Aside that I only play the latest Wolfenstein in Wine and it works even better than on Win8.1.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                Will buy that and hence push above 1% users...hahaha

Aside that I only play the latest Wolfenstein in Wine and it works even better than on Win8.1.
                What about ET: Legacy? It's free and runs natively.

Comment

I got tired of cs around 0.7, there isn't that much to the game at best you can perfect your skills. I have played 1.6 a few times and I'm still able to take out a regularly playing clan single handed.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                    I'm from Brazil, at the time i was playing CS (circa 2006), building a game pc was (and still is) expensive, and CS was one of those games that could run in any computer, especially in lan houses.
                    Battlefield and CoD would require a stronger hardware, which would be hard to find a friend/lan house to play with
                    That reminds me. I don't know if what I am thinking of is an old version of Counter Strike but I remember when going overseas where every internet cafe had multiple pirated copies of this game (Arabs don't believe in copyright laws apparently). The kids there called it "Go Go" because that's what was on screen right before their death matches started. Wow, the game ran amazingly on those ancient PCs, on lan as well! I wonder what game it is...

I guess my point is... the lack of copyright laws in Arab countries is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                      I got tired of cs around 0.7, there isn't that much to the game at best you can perfect your skills. I have played 1.6 a few times and I'm still able to take out a regularly playing clan single handed.

Comment

Working...
                      X