Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Yet Another Linux Distro Trying To Cater Towards Gamers

While there's already a handful of Linux distributions trying to cater towards the increasing number of gamers with no real competitive edge over any of the other long-standing, general-purpose Linux distributions (sans SteamOS), there's yet another new one to report on this weekend...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc4MjY
    I really do not understand the criticism here, at the end of the day Kubuntu is Ubuntu with KDE put on top, which already is in repos. Most Linux distro are done in this way and will continue to be created until people like Canonical see the need for advanced installer, as it is for some it will be easier to install this than to install Ubuntu and add all the packages manually post install.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Latest from upstream...
      steamos is quite good , games are made to run NATIVELY under linux .
      the big bug i have , is with the spdif of a asus xonar hdav [ hdmi]
      i have to pass by the desktop to have speakers on [ and i only have 2 [speakers] ]

the main other bug , is google or steam does not give a cent to any devs , they "respect" to much the "free" right to use "freely" others works , like M$ , so they STINCK very very much

this distro looks a lot like chrome/os [ from google or suse ? ] that have an extended wine support .
      good luck and good mix

Comment

I think it's great that gamers are getting more attention since generally the three biggest obstacles to new OS adoption are inertia, productivity software and games. While WINE is helping to some degree, games targeted specifically to a platform will likely always perform better regardless of how sophisticated the WINE APIs become.

To this end, Steam on Linux is a total game changer to help remove one of the three roadblocks. I fully expect the productivity suites will follow as Microsoft's new CEO said something a bit ago that made me think porting Office to Linux isn't out of the question.

To what extent pretty UIs and yet another software installation app are going to make a difference isn't clear. If that's all this new distro has to offer, it doesn't seem likely to get any new traction. At best, attrition from other distros.

Comment

Originally posted by PTAvatar View Post
          Hey Michael,
          You definitely know how to be proffessional... why not to post emails in the forum?

I think the Contact page should be called "Account-free Forum"...

You're doing a great job,
          Michael...
          I actually appreciate seeing the email. It lets the person speak for themselves and I'm actually now interested in it.

Comment

Originally posted by PTAvatar View Post
            Hey Michael,
            You definitely know how to be proffessional... why not to post emails in the forum?

I think the Contact page should be called "Account-free Forum"...

You're doing a great job,
            Michael...
            Cease the baseless whining.

The person acting capacity of Play-Linux's PR of sorts, was treated fairly by sane standards.

If anything, mlarabel was honest about the original piece.

So cease trying wolf.

-sh

Comment

Working...
            X