Sony Open-Sources A Universal Game Level Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Why not? It works just fine. Unless you're a Linux or Mac crazy person. The real world runs on Windows, after all.
    sheesh, need to offer few prayers in thanks for my madness then, i like surreal world more

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
      sheesh, need to offer few prayers in thanks for my madness then, i like surreal world more
      People were always calling me bat-shit crazy. Now I know why! =D
      Hi

Comment

LevelEditor is written in C# and uses Direct3D.
        So the only way you can "port it to Linux" is by ... completely rewriting it. C# lacks cross-platform set of widgets anyway, so there is very little reason to use it under Linux at all.

Comment

PoxNora
          Grim Fandango
          LevelEditor
          Android
          Bullet
          Well SONY, you're way ahead of EA now.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
            So the only way you can "port it to Linux" is by ... completely rewriting it. C# lacks cross-platform set of widgets anyway, so there is very little reason to use it under Linux at all.
            Actually they're using WinForms so it should be fine, the main issue is going to be the direct3d

Comment

Mono's WinForms support improved and Phoronix didn't report about it? I find that hard to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                Actually they're using WinForms so it should be fine, the main issue is going to be the direct3d
                Winforms implementation is quite shitty in Linux. And MS promise about patents does not covers WinForms, so it's not like if someone going to supply it by default or warmly welcome it.

So, basically, chosen approach is utterly hostile to Linux. Do you honestly think people will be optimistic about use of foreign runtimes with ton of problems, downloading hundreds megs of libs just for this program ... just to get idea it only uses API which is useless under Linux anyway? So I generally fail to see point to "port" this sfutt to Linux. Anyhow serious and quality port would result in almost complete rewrite and if you're serious about writting level editor for Linux, there're far less hostile ways to write cross-platform program. Say, something like Qt can use native-looking widgets and lacks zillion of bugs. And even offers some OpenGL support. And best of all - virtually all features are working the same way on all supported platforms and it looking like native app. Something that .net fails to achieve all the time they mumble about being cross-platform.
                Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 06 September 2014, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
                  Winforms implementation is quite shitty in Linux. And MS promise about patents does not covers WinForms, so it's not like if someone going to supply it by default or warmly welcome it.

So, basically, chosen approach is utterly hostile to Linux. Do you honestly think people will be optimistic about use of foreign runtimes with ton of problems, downloading hundreds megs of libs just for this program ... just to get idea it only uses API which is useless under Linux anyway? So I generally fail to see point to "port" this sfutt to Linux. Anyhow serious and quality port would result in almost complete rewrite and if you're serious about writting level editor for Linux, there're far less hostile ways to write cross-platform program. Say, something like Qt can use native-looking widgets and lacks zillion of bugs. And even offers some OpenGL support. And best of all - virtually all features are working the same way on all supported platforms and it looking like native app. Something that .net fails to achieve all the time they mumble about being cross-platform.
                  While I admittedly haven't spent that much time combing over their codebase, them using winforms is honestly not a big deal. Unless they're using some sort of custom widgets it should be pretty easy to change the codebase to use GTK# instead, if you're so worried about the winforms implementation. If they are using custom widgets they'd just have to be reimplemented which even then won't be a serious problem. The trouble as I said will be with the Direct3D backend which will need to be rewritten into OpenGL.

Comment

Working...
                  X