Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Open-Sources A Universal Game Level Editor

Phoronix: Sony Open-Sources A Universal Game Level Editor

Sony has open-sourced "LevelEditor", a level editing application for game levels that can be adapted to work with any game engine and uses a nice WYSIWYG interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't recall the last time Sony released a PC game. That being said, why did they bother making this in Direct X?

Comment

I'm a bit shocked that SCE subsidiary open source something at all.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I don't recall the last time Sony released a PC game. That being said, why did they bother making this in Direct X?
      Because all console games still developed on PC where their proprietary APIs (no, they don't use OpenGL) isn't available. E.g at least assets creation is remain PC-only.

Comment

because they probably use windows machines for this. if you read it carefully, this is not game engine, it is level editor capable of exporting made levels into most engines which kinda makes DirectX completely irrelevant. but, i'd think this move was more or less because their editor became totally useless since most engines now provide pretty awesome editors them selves

still, C# shouldn't be a problem to port anywhere and there are enough DX->GL implementations to create any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
          I'm a bit shocked that SCE subsidiary open source something at all.
          Not the first time, they procided some significant parts before

And since PS4 development started, they have some rather good guys working on LLVM/Clang and the intent is to push their stuff upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            but, i'd think this move was more or less because their editor became totally useless since most engines now provide pretty awesome editors them selves
            I mostly sure that none of SCE Worldwide Studios subsidiaries or partners use pre-built engines. Their games only released on Sony consoles so they don't have to be portable and everything going into creating very limited middleware that suite their consoles best.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
              It's proprietary as you might notice. A lot of PS3/PS4 bits provided with source code, but always under NDA.
              Also did you ever see where Sony provided source code for direct download?

I doubt that Bullet ever was SCE property, but let's say fair I don't know detailed history of this project.

Originally posted by discordian View Post
              And since PS4 development started, they have some rather good guys working on LLVM/Clang and the intent is to push their stuff upstream.
              It's kind a obviously they want to do that to not maintain own code tree, but their actual toolchain remain proprietary.

Comment

Also, Sony pushes many of its Android changes upstream. Here is an Android Police article quoting a then Android developer on it. I always felt that Sony's PlayStation division was just more meaner and proprietary than the other sections of Sony.

Comment

why did they bother making this in Direct X?
                  Why not? It works just fine. Unless you're a Linux or Mac crazy person. The real world runs on Windows, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    The real world runs on Windows, after all.
                    We keep hearing how GNU/Linux is a niche system, but the analyst that takes as parameter the desktop installations to measure its success, or he is completely blind, or he is a clumsy manipulator: desktops and laptops are a tiny subset of all the devices that can keep a running operating system inside. Not counting domestic appliances, routers, switches, servers, remote controls, clusters, GPS, supercomputers, and finally, the largest group of all, mobile phones, is ignoring more than ninety percent of the market.

-- Paul C. Brown. Editor of Linux Magazine Spain. September 2009.

Comment

Working...
                    X