No announcement yet.

Metro Redux Is Going To Require OpenGL 4.x On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be buying this. They've been supporting us and I think this will be the first OGL 4.x game title ever...? At least on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
      Yes but you have to keep in mind that the blobs generally contain YEARS of per-game optimization... Getting to feature parity is one thing, getting to performance parity is another...
      This is true, but Last Light is working very well on RadeonSI + HD7850. It is probably not as fast as on windows, but at least in my case it doesn't run on catalyst for linux at all. However, if Redux would run at similar way as Last Light does, I'd be happy. For single player games I don't care if they running 35 or 100 FPS. I'm not a FPS junkie, what counts is stability and joy

Comment

Originally posted by Weegee View Post
        I'm happy they're not holding back progress. It's great to see a full OpenGL 4.x game and it's definitely not the Metro developers' fault that Mesa doesn't fully support it yet. They should take advantage of what is currently possible on Linux, and that's what they do by using the latest OpenGL version.
        I agree. There's a good chance that none of the open source drivers can even handle this game properly anyway, so by the time they can support it they should be a bit more optimized.

On another note, we should be thankful they decided to port this.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulkan View Post
          Does that mean that the minimum requirement will be the HD 5000 and Geforce 400 and above?
          The Windows version works on DX10/10.1 GPUs as well.
          Yes, only these cards support OGL4.x Core Profile. In future Intel HD series (Ivy Bridge and newer) should be supported too.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
            Yes, only these cards support OGL4.x Core Profile. In future Intel HD series (Ivy Bridge and newer) should be supported too.
            My card supports 3.3 and some instructions of 4.x ... I'll don't buy the game nor a new card.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              My card supports 3.3 and some instructions of 4.x ... I'll don't buy the game nor a new card.
              Cool story bro...

Comment

Originally posted by orawas View Post
                Cool story bro...
                thanks.

Comment

Well i guess you wont be playing much future game releases then, either...

Come on...! I dunno if it's just me, but to me it seems like there's this consensus among a lot of linux gamers that the latest games should support their ancient hardware no matter how ridiciously slow it would run.. You can't expect devs to keep supporting old, crusty machines :P

Comment

Waste of letters.

Comment

Nice they are supporting linux. Though I am a little sad that it will be a while before I can play it since I use radeon driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X