Ioquake3 Works On Finally Switching Over To SDL2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
    What did I tell you? DESCRIBE TO ME WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU HIT THE PRTSC BUTTON!
    Mine make's a screen shot.

And you missed my point big feller.

Maybe if you screamed a little harder?
    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
      Mine make's a screen shot.

And you missed my point big feller.

Maybe if you screamed a little harder?
      I didn't miss the point. Yes, yes, you would like an option. Options are nice. Cool beans. And I didn't scream, I was being overly dramatic on purpose. What you missed is that on pressing PtrSc, an app, some screenshot tool, opened up a new window. This window stole focus (keyboard input and window control) and thus interupted your game. If your game was full screen then you lost fullscreen mid game. This incredibly disruptive for your xserver and desktop, sometimes these interuptions even cause gpu driver panics and crash your app or even worse your desktop.

Long story short, it is better to not implement Prtsc and other odd functions like email, filemanager, calcilator, and music player opening buttons that may steal focus from a fullscreen game than try to program resistance to the interuption they cause. Linux graphics as a whole do not like interuptions to fullscreen apps, does all kinda funny stuff. Ever go into screenlock while running Adobe Flash???? It cuases a lost of desktop on relogin for me one out of three times, whicih is terrible (opensource intel driver).

Comment

I didn't miss the point. Yes, yes, you would like an option. Options are nice. Cool beans. And I didn't scream, I was being overly dramatic on purpose. What you missed is that on pressing PtrSc, an app, some screenshot tool, opened up a new window. This window stole focus (keyboard input and window control) and thus interupted your game. If your game was full screen then you lost fullscreen mid game. This incredibly disruptive for your xserver and desktop, sometimes these interuptions even cause gpu driver panics and crash your app or even worse your desktop.

Long story short, it is better to not implement Prtsc and other odd functions like email, filemanager, calcilator, and music player opening buttons that may steal focus from a fullscreen game than try to program resistance to the interuption they cause. Linux graphics as a whole do not like interuptions to fullscreen apps, does all kinda funny stuff. Ever go into screenlock while running Adobe Flash???? It cuases a lost of desktop on relogin for me one out of three times, whicih is terrible (opensource intel driver).
        To be fair, Gnome Shell does not have the screenshot prompt anymore (shame) but instead dumps the screenshot straight to the pictures folder.

What is inexcusable is the blockage of media keys, making it impossible to adjust volume without un-fullscreening your game. I recall an ancient bug report when this was first introduced.... the SDL devs blamed the games developer - because apparently you need to go out of your way to implement it properly. The massive amount of games that don't have volme adjusting functionality speaks of poor implementation to me, not the fault of the application devs.

Comment

There's a TMNT mod!? Who posts a picture of a mod and doesn't mention or link it!
          It's called Turtle Arena, a standalone game based on ioquake3. Features split screen.

Comment

If it's so terrible, why are you using the intel driver? More importantly why aren't you asking the question as to why anyone would need to hit prt scr for an external screen shot when the game engine does that internally?

Comment

There's a TMNT mod!? Who posts a picture of a mod and doesn't mention or link it!
              He wrote an article about it before. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA4NzU

Comment

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
                To be fair, Gnome Shell does not have the screenshot prompt anymore (shame) but instead dumps the screenshot straight to the pictures folder.

What is inexcusable is the blockage of media keys, making it impossible to adjust volume without un-fullscreening your game. I recall an ancient bug report when this was first introduced.... the SDL devs blamed the games developer - because apparently you need to go out of your way to implement it properly. The massive amount of games that don't have volme adjusting functionality speaks of poor implementation to me, not the fault of the application devs.
                My volume up and down using Fn+arrowup and Fn+arrowdown work in game for most games.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                  If it's so terrible, why are you using the intel driver? More importantly why aren't you asking the question as to why anyone would need to hit prt scr for an external screen shot when the game engine does that internally?

Good point as most games come with a screenshot tool. Also, why wouldn't I use the intel driver??? How am I going to run my laptop?

Comment

Oh look, systemd support for the dedicated server as well: https://github.com/ioquake/ioq3/pull/80

Comment

How am I going to run my laptop?
                      Use the OS it came with or buy one that doesn't suck.

Comment

Working...
                      X