Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ET: Quake Wars v1.4 Coming Soon

Phoronix: ET: Quake Wars v1.4 Coming Soon

While Unreal Tournament 3 for Linux has been tied up in Epic's legal department, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars has been maturing quite nicely since its introduction earlier this year. This week the Windows development team had announced ET: Quake Wars v1.4 would be available before Christmas with a host of new features. Today at Phoronix we can now confirm that this update will also be available for Linux gamers in a timely fashion.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have not been checking around the forums, but it would be nice if this release finally fixed the dual core detection problems, that some of us are having.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: ET: Quake Wars v1.4 Coming Soon

While Unreal Tournament 3 for Linux has been tied up in Epic's legal department, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars has been maturing quite nicely since its introduction earlier this year. This week the Windows development team had announced ET: Quake Wars v1.4 would be available before Christmas with a host of new features. Today at Phoronix we can now confirm that this update will also be available for Linux gamers in a timely fashion.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=11566
      I have a question... I want to buy this game, but I've never bought games for linux. All the games that I play are through wine. So do I need to do anything different this time around?

As in, is there 2 editions of this game - Windows and Linux or is it just one and it runs on all systems (x86? amd64?). I'm interested to know how the same binary runs on both operating systems if that's the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Morlyn View Post
        As in, is there 2 editions of this game - Windows and Linux or is it just one and it runs on all systems (x86? amd64?). I'm interested to know how the same binary runs on both operating systems if that's the case?
        There is only one edition, the Windows version.

Once you have the Windows copy, all you do is go to http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/etqw/ and download the latest point release. After you install that, you then copy the contents of the base folder (a bunch of pk4 files and more) into the /usr/local/games/etqw/base folder and then after that you can go ahead and play. Basically your copying the game contents from the DVD and downloading the binary.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          There is only one edition, the Windows version.

Once you have the Windows copy, all you do is go to http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/etqw/ and download the latest point release. After you install that, you then copy the contents of the base folder (a bunch of pk4 files and more) into the /usr/local/games/etqw/base folder and then after that you can go ahead and play. Basically your copying the game contents from the DVD and downloading the binary.
          Sorry, but the ET: QW installer does the copying and installing like when you're installing under Windows. You don't have to do anything after the installation.

Comment

I'd really love to see a benchmark of QW 1.4, comparing NVidia's new GeForce 8800GT (maybe several vendors) versus AMD/ATIs new generation of graphics cards. I can't think of any other site on the internet that would conduct such a test.

It would be really interesting to me, because due to QW I will buy a new graphics card in January (most likely). However, I'm not sure whether to buy AMD or NVidia. I can imagine that quite a number of linux gamers see themselves in a similar position, right now.

Traditionally, NVidias linux driver support (while binary) was vastly superior to what ATI did deliver. However, recently things are starting to look different. ATI is quickly improving their linux driver codebase, and - even better - are stating to support the implementation of a free (as in freedom) driver by giving out detailed documentation, even without any NDAs.

So, to sum up, I believe AMD should be supported in the long run in their efforts to create a free driver. However, I'm also interested in the performance of their current cards for playing QW on linux. A review like that would be just great.
            Last edited by f33l; 15 December 2007, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Sorry, but the ET: QW installer does the copying and installing like when you're installing under Windows. You don't have to do anything after the installation.
              Does it do that with ET:QW now? When installing the v1.4 RC I don't remember seeing such an option. I personally always have just stored the base files on a USB hard drive, and then manually transfer all of them over for the different test systems instead of messing with the CD/DVDs.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by f33l View Post
                I'd really love to see a benchmark of QW 1.4, comparing NVidia's new GeForce 8800GT (maybe several vendors) versus AMD/ATIs new generation of graphics cards. I can't think of any other site on the internet that would conduct such a test.

It would be really interesting to me, because due to QW I will buy a new graphics card in January (most likely). However, I'm not sure whether to buy AMD or NVidia. I can imagine that quite a number of linux gamers see themselves in a similar position, right now.

Traditionally, NVidias linux driver support (while binary) was vastly superior to what ATI did deliver. However, recently things are starting to look different. ATI is quickly improving their linux driver codebase, and - even better - are stating to support the implementation of a free (as in freedom) driver by giving out detailed documentation, even without any NDAs.

So, to sum up, I believe AMD should be supported in the long run in their efforts to create a free driver. However, I'm also interested in the performance of their current cards for playing QW on linux. A review like that would be just great.
                I'll see if I can organize the tests
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  I'll see if I can organize the tests
                  hehe, nice

Comment

I just reinstalled QW under Linux the other day. There are 2 installers. There's a 'full' installer which will copy all of the data from the DVD. There is also a smaller 'nomedia' installer which requires you to copy the data from an existing Windows install.

Comment

Working...
                    X