ET: Quake Wars v1.4 Coming Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by janl View Post
    I just reinstalled QW under Linux the other day. There are 2 installers. There's a 'full' installer which will copy all of the data from the DVD. There is also a smaller 'nomedia' installer which requires you to copy the data from an existing Windows install.
    Exactly. But the v1.4 Release Candidate is only awaible as a nomedia update currently. The full v1.4 update will have, like the v1.2 update now already has, an option to install from the DVD.

Comment

The installer will even copy from a mounted ISO file now.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Does it do that with ET:QW now? When installing the v1.4 RC I don't remember seeing such an option. I personally always have just stored the base files on a USB hard drive, and then manually transfer all of them over for the different test systems instead of messing with the CD/DVDs.

I do the same thing as it is very convenient. No having to locate a disk to install and no worrying if it becomes unreadable. However, I created an ISO for Quake Wars so I could easily install under Windows and Linux this time around, and I was surprised when the installer found the mounted ISO and copied the files from it.

Comment

ET:QW seems to be CPU limited under windows on my AMD Athlon 64 4200+, both cores run at 85%+ usage. I'll be interested in how it runs on Linux, it might be a big problem if it doesn't use the dual cores properly but if it runs a lot better then theres something fishy about the windows version. I'll be able to test for myself once fglrx work for me.

Comment

Update v1.4 has been delayed until January due to some bugs, one of them being ATI related.

Comment

Even with just one core working under Linux, I get almost the same performance under Linux as I do Windows. The difference is like 1-3 FPS in either direction. So I wonder if the extra core will even make a difference. Oh and each core I have is 2.8 GHz.

Comment

Quake 4 v1.4 will contain a new threaded renderer that will boost quad-core gaming performance (while ET:QW has already been SMP friendly, these are some additional improvements for systems with more than two cores).
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                X