Humble Jumbo Bundle 2 Shafts Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Creak View Post
    I'm sorry I can't be clearer, maybe you'll understand me later, maybe not.
    Anyway, economically speaking, showing openness is *never* a bad thing.
    Economically, giving away your money to competitor is a suicide. Especially when it's an uphill battle for GOG (Steam is waay bigger so far). And it has nothing to do with openness. GOG doesn't limit your choice in any way. You can go and buy your stuff on Steam at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
      If its on Steam it might aswell not exist, why would I feed those leeches at Valve who are just concerned about grabbing money?
      If it's not on Steam, I don't bother with the game. Steam gives me the convenience of a one click installation without touching my system directories.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Economically, giving away your money to competitor is a suicide. Especially when it's an uphill battle for GOG (Steam is waay bigger so far). And it has nothing to do with openness. GOG doesn't limit your choice in any way. You can go and buy your stuff on Steam at any time.
        Redeem a game on Steam doesn't mean giving all your money to Steam. I'm sure HB doesn't do that. But I don't know the price to get redeem keys either (I just know that HB asks a minimum amount to allow to have Steam keys).

Here is an explanation of what I'm trying to say: http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/73784
        There is a specific quote that is pretty relevant: "Quite simply, the best place to be is as close to your biggest competitor as you can be".

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
          Redeem a game on Steam doesn't mean giving all your money to Steam. I'm sure HB doesn't do that. But I don't know the price to get redeem keys either.
          As I wrote above, don't compare GOG and HB. HB is probably paid by Steam to offer those keys. Also, since you said you care about DRM-free games, it would be relevant. One of the core goals of GOG is to promote DRM-free gaming. Promoting Steam is completely against that goal. So I see no valid reason for GOG to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
            If its on Steam it might aswell not exist, why would I feed those leeches at Valve who are just concerned about grabbing money?
            yep, i agree. we better wait for your dear GOG. they are doing some really awesome work for linux gaming. i doubt rest of the community provided 1/5th of whole linux universe code as they have

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              As I wrote above, don't compare GOG and HB. HB is probably paid by Steam to offer those keys. Also, since you said you care about DRM-free games, it would be relevant. One of the core goals of GOG is to promote DRM-free gaming. Promoting Steam is completely against that goal. So I see no valid reason for GOG to do it.
              and they do awesome job, by supporting major DRM pushers. let's see what W3 is coming out for: Windows (MS), PS4 (Sony), Xboxone (MS). clear mission statement, what can i say.

one would think that someone making such fuzz about DRM would be leading the front of gaming on DRM free platforms, not shown up after everyone else already did

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                and they do awesome job, by supporting major DRM pushers. let's see what W3 is coming out for: Windows (MS), PS4 (Sony), Xboxone (MS). clear mission statement, what can i say.

one would think that someone making such fuzz about DRM would be leading the front of gaming on DRM free platforms, not shown up after everyone else already did
                It has nothing to do with Linux being a "DRM-free platform". It's that, because they handle support themselves and offer a 30-day money-back guarantee if they can't get the game working for you on a supported platform, they were scared off by the profusion of Linux distros for a long time.

If Linux were a "one version for everyone" thing like Windows and MacOS, they'd have supported it much sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                  If Linux were a "one version for everyone" thing like Windows and MacOS, they'd have supported it much sooner.
                  Related question: Is this "one version for everyone" Windows that people keep talking about XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 8.1? 32, or 64-bit? And with which SP and hotfixes?

(grinning and ducking)

Comment

Doubt it. If you look around in the Steam store it's evident that most developers focus on Ubuntu support. By using the Steam runtime libraries their game with most surely work on any Linux distro, but they focus official support to Ubuntu and/or SteamOS.

I think the sole reason why Linux support is often an afterthough is (obivously) the market share. GamingOnLinux recently published some Linux sale figures, and they weren't all that great (but very high considering only ~1.2% of Steam users run Linux).

Comment

It has nothing to do with Linux being a "DRM-free platform". It's that, because they handle support themselves and offer a 30-day money-back guarantee if they can't get the game working for you on a supported platform, they were scared off by the profusion of Linux distros for a long time.

1st off... it is about "DRM-free platform". What is the point of anti-DRM if you need to get DRM platform to use it. It's like you'd be giving out 100% proof breathing mask, where only thing you need to do to get it is running 2 days over infected area without protection or putting condom on after you had sex

next... OSX is "one version"? and so is Windows? on which planet do you live? surely not on the same as the rest of us, those two suffer exact same fragmentation where in next version things stop working. and even if your "one version for everyone" would hold any water, then why not FreeBSD or any other BSD? you couldn't get more fitting target for that claim

next... they were scared? i'm guessing GOG was so scared that they didn't even try it, because out there... Valve succeeded, all games on HB succeeded... they didn't preach "Holier than thou", they simply did it

now.. just so i put this in perspective, I'm not even as closely as opposed to GOG as it sounds. i just can't stand true believers zealoting and putting down Valve on providing optional DRM for developers. if GOG puts out decent native game at fair price, i'd probably buy it because i prefer to support EU companies. the only thing i want is having option to maintain my library from 1 software.

Comment

Working...
                      X