Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Island for Linux (?)

Hey guys, this just showed up in my steam library:

Downloading it now, will report back after I tested it ...

"Failed to start game (missing executable)"

Let's hope it's not just an error and they plan to release it soon. I will check again after (when) they release an update and report back.

Comment

I came to phoronix to start a thread about this to see if I was the only one... But yes, I see Dead Island available in my list too. It's currently downloading... I have no idea if this is just some bug on their side or what. Guess we'll find out. Already 14% done thanks to my work's connection.

Even if it's the real deal, probably won't work on my laptop with Haswell graphics. Oh well. I can back the game up when I get home and restore it to my desktop if it looks like it will actually work.

Comment

I missed the previous post about the missing executable, but I already suspected that would be the case anyway.

I did, however, find this:
        Time to get excited again Linux gamers! Dead Island has some little hints that it will be coming to Linux! Yes it's another Zombie game, but it's a bit different.

So maybe it's a beta like when The Witcher 2 first became available (and wouldn't work because it was a closed beta). Hopefully it will be a much higher quality port than The Witcher 2 as well...

Comment

Originally posted by flocke View Post
          "Failed to start game (missing executable)"

Let's hope it's not just an error and they plan to release it soon. I will check again after (when) they release an update and report back.
          The exact same situation occured to me when waiting for Cave Story+, all data files could be downloaded save for the executable. Just be patient about it

Comment

Stealthily (with no announcement to the best of my knowledge) Dead Island updated over the weekend and now works on Linux. Oddly enough, I couldn't change resolution above 1980x1200 (my monitor is 2560x1440). I dug up the config file and changed it there, though I'm not sure if it stuck. Anyway, the game seems to work fine otherwise on my Haswell/GTX 780Ti system. I fired it up and played it for a very short period of time (2 or 3 minutes), just long enough to get into the game proper.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
              Stealthily (with no announcement to the best of my knowledge) Dead Island updated over the weekend and now works on Linux. Oddly enough, I couldn't change resolution above 1980x1200 (my monitor is 2560x1440). I dug up the config file and changed it there, though I'm not sure if it stuck. Anyway, the game seems to work fine otherwise on my Haswell/GTX 780Ti system. I fired it up and played it for a very short period of time (2 or 3 minutes), just long enough to get into the game proper.
              I was able to select 2560x1440 when I tried 12-something AM Saturday, although I haven't actually tried to play the game yet (settings was as far as I got) due to a severe lack of time.

Comment

Working...
              X