No announcement yet.

SteamOS Beta 126 Better Handles XBMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm having a hard time understanding why one would use a web server or database server on a gaming OS.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be installable -- or even easily installable -- but isn't this something that should be maintained in some kind of universe repo rather than maintained by Valve themselves? Kind of like how Linux 4 Tegra, etc. work?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      I'm having a hard time understanding why one would use a web server or database server on a gaming OS.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be installable -- or even easily installable -- but isn't this something that should be maintained in some kind of universe repo rather than maintained by Valve themselves? Kind of like how Linux 4 Tegra, etc. work?
      At least where XMBC/Kodi lies, it's more about the meta-data integration. All your movie and TV show info along with your game stuff's is just simplicity. Having the webserver means it, and various other media-centre services are accessible anywhere, obviously. Also, a lot of the remote stuff, like soft-remotes, relies on a webserver. So if Steam start supplying this stuff in their OS too, they might be trying to do the same thing as Kodi.
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Valve doesn't maintain such things, they probably just sync the majority of software from Debian themselves. I wouldn't be wise do do otherwise. Though it could be that they just sync over the sources and have an automated way to change the naming scheme of the .deb file as they're created on Valve's build server(s).

Comment

Working...
        X