A New Video Has Us Real Excited About The New UT For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
    yea, but how does that come as cost of Unreal? the 30% is on any engine (or none)
    We might not be on the same page but it's not cost of Unreal he's talking about but the total cost for the developer. In other words, the studio developing a product based on Unreal for the Android platform makes 65% in gross profit.

Comment

AFAIK, physx was retired and is now part of NVidia Gameworks, where NVidia already said they're bringing on GPU support
      How being part of gameworks made Physx retired?

As far as I know they're going to further improve both CPU and GPU, and from now they're the best CPU alternative, and there's almost no Opencl alternative.

AMD stated some time ago that they wanted an Open alternative and that cuda is doomed.
      AMD's Roy Taylor
      I think CUDA is doomed. Our industry doesn’t like proprietary standards. PhysX is an utter failure because it’s proprietary. Nobody wants it. You don’t want it, I don’t want it, gamers don’t want it. Analysts don’t want it. In the early days of our industry, you could get away with it and it worked. We’ve all had enough of it. They’re unhealthy.

Nvidia should be congratulated for its invention. As a trend, GPGPU is absolutely fantastic and fabulous. But that was then, this is now. Now, collectively our industry doesn’t want a proprietary standard. That’s why people are migrating to OpenCL.
      But what I see now is that they've doomed Opencl when they decided to keep stalling instead of fixing the THREE YEARS OLD Opencl bug with large kernels, that even the open source projects in need of a GPGPU solution ends using cuda (ie. blender) cause they can't make Opencl work as expected.

Comment

yea, but how does that come as cost of Unreal? the 30% is on any engine (or none)
        It's Unreal Engine 4 (or UE4), not "Unreal". Unreal is the name of the game based on Unreal Engine 1.

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
        We might not be on the same page but it's not cost of Unreal he's talking about but the total cost for the developer. In other words, the studio developing a product based on Unreal for the Android platform makes 65% in gross profit.
        It's Unreal Engine 4 (or UE4), not "Unreal". Unreal is the name of the game based on Unreal Engine 1.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          So AAA dev team with 100 devs would need ~2k $ each month, -> 24k $ each year -> 100k - 150k $ for whole product release (3-5y of development).
          And 5% of cut of all cash from game. (So If one sell on Android then 35% of sales is out.)
          Not bad.
          Good thing there are no engines for $0 a month, $0 per developer, including source code, 0% cut of final sale price

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
            So AAA dev team with 100 devs would need ~2k $ each month, -> 24k $ each year -> 100k - 150k $ for whole product release (3-5y of development).
            And 5% of cut of all cash from game. (So If one sell on Android then 35% of sales is out.)
            Not bad.
            I haven't looked into it, but I'm pretty sure they still have the option of buying the engine under similar terms to their older engines - which means a much higher upfront price, but no cut of the final game profits.

The idea behind the new pricing structure is to expand into the smaller/indie games, not necessarily to convert the major AAA titles.

Comment

Working...
            X