Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New Video Has Us Real Excited About The New UT For Linux

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
    Hey, can anyone explain to me how it's possible that the source code of Unreal engine 4 is available for only 19$ per month? It sounds unbelievably cheap since I think licenses of earlier versions costed hundreds of thousands of dollars. Is there some kind of catch?
    I could be wrong, but I thought I heard the $19 a month was for your own personal use or something, and if you actually shipped a pay-to-play game, you had to give a cut.

    In any case, lets not forget that there's CryEngine 3 at around $10/month.

    And as for a personal note, I like Unreal Engine and all, but if it's going to continue relying on sub-par performing PhysX, I can't say I'd want anything to do with that. Been plenty of games I missed out on having the best experience with due to PhysX 2 and it's crap single-threaded performance. "oh but you could just buy an NVIDIA GPU and run it on the GPU" nope. As arrogant as it might sound, I'm not going to be a blind follower and support NVIDIA's marketing in that way.

    So basically, I'm really hoping CryEngine 3 gets used more than Unreal Engine 4 at this point. If Unreal Engine supports and ships (ships because I can bet most people just trying to chug out a UE4 game(s) aren't going to bother with integrating a separate engine) with a non-biased physics engine though, that would be great.
    Last edited by Espionage724; 26 July 2014, 03:49 AM.

    Comment


    • #12
      UE4 is available for $19 per user per month, with a 5% royalty on gross revenue from commercial products.
      From the unreal engine FAQ.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Kiori View Post
        UE4 is available for $19 per user per month, with a 5% royalty on gross revenue from commercial products.
        From the unreal engine FAQ.


        So AAA dev team with 100 devs would need ~2k $ each month, -> 24k $ each year -> 100k - 150k $ for whole product release (3-5y of development).
        And 5% of cut of all cash from game. (So If one sell on Android then 35% of sales is out.)
        Not bad.



        And its all due to Unity and their business model. They go cheap, they go wide.
        And so game dev studios that evolve from small indie to medium teams use Unity all they way up. Thus eating at the bottom of AAA game engine market.

        UE4/CryEngine3 business models are designed to push back and into smaller teams.
        (And to enlarge pool of talented game devs familiar with the tech, which further lower costs for big studions ...)

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
          In any case, lets not forget that there's CryEngine 3 at around $10/month.
          Does the CryEngine also include the source code though? I agree with you that PhysX sucks, but I think having the source code is a huge plus. And it could also be very helpful for people who want to create their own game engine. The only other big engine that I know of where you can easily get the source code would be id Tech 4 and that one is pretty old.

          Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          So AAA dev team with 100 devs would need ~2k $ each month, -> 24k $ each year -> 100k - 150k $ for whole product release (3-5y of development).
          And 5% of cut of all cash from game. (So If one sell on Android then 35% of sales is out.)
          Not bad.
          Ok, I guess it is still pretty expensive for larger teams. But isn't it possible to cancel your subscription after one month and then keep working with that version, until your ready for release then resubscribe and update everything to the newest engine?

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Kiori View Post
            UE4 is available for $19 per user per month, with a 5% royalty on gross revenue from commercial products.
            From the unreal engine FAQ.
            5% is only if you pass 3000$ per quarter. if you make free game, $19 is whole cost

            and unlike CryEngine where subscription is a must. you can unsubscribe at any time. you just don't get updates (CryEngine has forced subscription where it stops working in that case). so, when that is needed you need to subscribe again for 1 month.
            Last edited by justmy2cents; 26 July 2014, 06:25 AM.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              So AAA dev team with 100 devs would need ~2k $ each month, -> 24k $ each year -> 100k - 150k $ for whole product release (3-5y of development).
              And 5% of cut of all cash from game. (So If one sell on Android then 35% of sales is out.)
              Not bad.



              And its all due to Unity and their business model. They go cheap, they go wide.
              And so game dev studios that evolve from small indie to medium teams use Unity all they way up. Thus eating at the bottom of AAA game engine market.

              UE4/CryEngine3 business models are designed to push back and into smaller teams.
              (And to enlarge pool of talented game devs familiar with the tech, which further lower costs for big studions ...)
              you're so wrong in so many ways.

              - it is not 24, it is 19. 100 developers could as well be $1900 per year or longer and then $19 for your build machine when you want to ship updates. 100 developers could cost almost as low as 1 Unity Pro
              - you don't need to pay subscription, you can just register when you want updates
              - you only pay 5% if you pass $3000 per quarter
              - where do you get 35% if you pay 5%?

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                So basically, I'm really hoping CryEngine 3 gets used more than Unreal Engine 4 at this point.
                Cryengine is using a Directx to Opengl translation layer... I'll go with UE4.

                Anyway if you have source code you should be able to use bullet physics or any other open source physics, but as far as I know Bullet physics is slower than Physx 3.3 on CPU simulations, Bullet Physics 3.x is working now on Opencl support but i'm not sure if it's going to surpass physx cpu performance.

                Bullet 2.81 vs Physx 2.8.4 - 3.3 benchmarks:
                http://www.codercorner.com/blog/?p=914

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                  - where do you get 35% if you pay 5%?
                  He mentioned developing on Android, so it's the cut Google Play takes, I suppose.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Sdar View Post
                    Cryengine is using a Directx to Opengl translation layer... I'll go with UE4.

                    Anyway if you have source code you should be able to use bullet physics or any other open source physics, but as far as I know Bullet physics is slower than Physx 3.3 on CPU simulations, Bullet Physics 3.x is working now on Opencl support but i'm not sure if it's going to surpass physx cpu performance.

                    Bullet 2.81 vs Physx 2.8.4 - 3.3 benchmarks:
                    http://www.codercorner.com/blog/?p=914
                    AFAIK, physx was retired and is now part of NVidia Gameworks, where NVidia already said they're bringing on GPU support

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                      He mentioned developing on Android, so it's the cut Google Play takes, I suppose.
                      yea, but how does that come as cost of Unreal? the 30% is on any engine (or none)

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X