GOG.com Officially Starts Rolling Out Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by discordian View Post
    Gog client, are you kidding? The very reason I buy on gog is because there is no such nonsense.
    And yes they should work fine on Ubuntu (exceptions of course possibly)
    Download the best classic and new games on Windows, Mac & Linux. A vast selection of titles, DRM-free, with free goodies and 30-day money-back guarantee.

and apparently it is not.

Comment

God I hope the GOG games I've got get released, come on Cannon Fodder, or any Bullfrog game (Syndicate preferably)...

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        http://www.gog.com/downloader
        Well, if you say "client" I assume some app you need to use for the games, not some optional "downloader" (most browsers can resume croken dl just fine so I dont see a big need for that kinda stuff).
        And apparently you already knew the answer.

So maybe thats a lacking convienience factor for some, but I dont see clicking links as big hassle

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
          Well, if you say "client" I assume some app you need to use for the games, not some optional "downloader" (most browsers can resume croken dl just fine so I dont see a big need for that kinda stuff).
          And apparently you already knew the answer.

So maybe thats a lacking convienience factor for some, but I dont see clicking links as big hassle
          I haven't tried the GOG Downloader (being a Linux user) so I don't know exactly what it does, but the community lgogdownloader has been very convenient for maintaining a copy of my library on my hard drive. It has a bunch of options for filtering out what content you want, and it's able to detect and download only changed files and new games.

Comment

Yes! Finally!

What client? Never used the downloader, did it manually. No time yet to look into galaxy. But gog is famous for having a everything DRM free and I guess they keep to it so you will not need any clients. Thanks god. And thanks gog.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

hm

most of the games use wine or dosbox, but they work without troubles gj

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                most of the games use wine or dosbox, but they work without troubles gj
                they use dosbox on windows too fyi

Comment

Some wishlist items relevant to Linux users:

* Release GOG Galaxy as open source (optional updater / multiplayer client).
                  * Document GOG Galaxy protocol to enable open alternatives.
                  * Make a Linux port of the Witcher 3 (GOG is owned by CD Projekt Red so it's really for the later).
                  * Use Tux logo rather than Ubuntu logo for indicating Linux games.
                  * Use better compression in tarballs (now they use tar.gz).

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                    http://www.gog.com/downloader
                    Well, the only thing that's really useful for is downloading/installing larger games (2+ GB that usually get split into several data files) and updating your games. Other than that, downloading and installing manually is just fine

I'm very disappointed and very sad that Neverwinter Nights (the first one) isn't on this list. The Linux client still works for the most part, the only thing they'd have to really get working are movies and sound on Pulse. I'm really looking forward to this...
                    Guess I'll have to wait for the next 50

Comment

Nah, thanks. I prefer my games on Steam. They just download, run and update automatically. Installers are so 90's....

Maybe if their forthcoming client can compete with that, then maybe.

Comment

Working...
                      X