Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Is Still Hiring For SteamOS, Linux Work

Phoronix: Valve Is Still Hiring For SteamOS, Linux Work

Valve has been poaching Linux developers for years and there's no sign of them slowing down, but in fact are still hiring...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

By "commercial software", do they mean software that is widely used? Because it's odd to ask for commerical software development experience for an open source project.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      By "commercial software", do they mean software that is widely used? Because it's odd to ask for commerical software development experience for an open source project.
      Yeah, I think they mean "commercial" as in "real job". Meaning, a Suse, Canonical, RedHat, etc employee would be a "commercial" developer.

I wonder what's the size of the SteamOS team by now!

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
        Yeah, I think they mean "commercial" as in "real job". Meaning, a Suse, Canonical, RedHat, etc employee would be a "commercial" developer.
        Let me be clear, you can write commercial open source applications. The proper term is "proprietary" vs "open source", even though, many times, people use "commercial" as equivalent to "proprietary", which is wrong and muds the water. You can definitely make money around open source software. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          Let me be clear, you can write commercial open source applications. The proper term is "proprietary" vs "open source", even though, many times, people use "commercial" as equivalent to "proprietary", which is wrong and muds the water. You can definitely make money around open source software. Cheers!
          Hello,

Can someone confirm whether Valve opensourced Steam? because from what i can understand, Steam OS = Debian + Steam + Valve middle-ware libraries.

Just saying..

Best,
          a.

Comment

Originally posted by atari314
            Fixed title: Valve is still hiring for DRM on linux work.
            Direct rendering or digital restrictions?

Comment

Note that you'll be fired very quickly again if you don't fit the company's culture, just like the many previous Linux devs there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                Note that you'll be fired very quickly again if you don't fit the company's culture, just like the many previous Linux devs there.
                Not that I doubt what you write but got any links on such a story?

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                  Sorry, only insider knowledge I trust. You're free to not believe me. The only official stories I know of are the famous layoffs from 2013 which you can google.

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                    He means, if you count to 3, you'll be fired.

Comment

Working...
                    X