Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
    Steam != DRM, its an optional feature.

Is there a significant number of DRM free games of reasonable quality on steam?
    Is it?
    In theory "STEAM != DRM", reality says something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
      Is it?
      A lot of the games I got on Steam were from HumbleBundle, a lot of those are DRM free and easily downloadable without Steam. Of course, "reasonable quality" is debatable, but they do exist.

BioShock (1) is DRM free, for instance (though not currently available for Linux).

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        Is it?
        Even if everybody would be using it, it would not change the fact, that it is optional.
        And you can't blame steam for the reality, that most games _want_ to use DRM! Blame the ones who made this choice!

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
          Even if everybody would be using it, it would not change the fact, that it is optional.
          And you can't blame steam for the reality, that most games _want_ to use DRM! Blame the ones who made this choice!
          This old debate comes up over and over. I have two strong reservations against steam.

a) There is no way to obtain the game without connecting to the internet using closed source software.
          b) They don't offer any way to distinguish games using steamworks drm from those that don't, except for someone to buy the game and try it.

Whether you consider this to be DRM or not, it's enough to make me shop elsewhere.

Comment

Why do you people repeat the same stuff again and again ignoring what one said?
            IMHO Steam is no resource for DRM free stuff, because:
            - everybody who WANTS DRM goes to steam (thank you for this )
            - Steam does not mark the games which are DRM free or tries to advertise DRM free games
            - If there are any DRM free games, they are usually available at GOG or HumbleStore

If one wants DRM free stuff steam is the LAST resort and it really doesn't matter what steam offers behind the scene or who is responsible for the current situation.

//Edit: Hmm ... too late ^^

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
              This old debate comes up over and over. I have two strong reservations against steam.

a) There is no way to obtain the game without connecting to the internet using closed source software.
              b) They don't offer any way to distinguish games using steamworks drm from those that don't, except for someone to buy the game and try it.

Whether you consider this to be DRM or not, it's enough to make me shop elsewhere.
              That's fine! You're entitled to have your own opinion as long as you state it as an opinion and not as a fact.
              I just wanted to say to Kemosabe that his feeling that nothing is DRM free on steam doesn't make it the truth

Comment

That's fine! You're entitled to have your own opinion as long as you state it as an opinion and not as a fact.
                I just wanted to say to Kemosabe that his feeling that nothing is DRM free on steam doesn't make it the truth
                This is far from anything i said but you have a strong desire to post something, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
                  Your getting closed source software in 99% of the cases any way.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                    Your getting closed source software in 99% of the cases any way.
                    Single-player DRM-free games don't call home.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Single-player DRM-free games don't call home.
                      Yeah, right!

Just watch all the Android games needing 'full network access' and 'access to accounts and phone number'. That also includes HumbleBundle games. What makes you think the desktop is any different?

Comment

Working...
                      X