Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will UT3 For Linux Be Released This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best way to get you heard, vote with your wallet. I had cancelled my order of the game when I first learned that it wouldn't be out as soon as we thought. If they ever release it, good for them, fi they don't, so sorry, but still there are other projects that will pick my attention. In the mean time I have plenty of games to keep me entertained.

Comment

• Well basically they already lost money from Linux users, because when you now or later buy it is already cheaper than it was when it was new. Now it is getting old...

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Heh... I'll bet you get met with deafening silence, Michael...

As it stands, I'd suspect they're going to avoid deleting your posting if they've taken to deleting inquiries about the Linux version- your ID sort of identifies it as you. If they deleted your post, there'd be an immediate, and not so pretty result if they've gone and done what some have been alluding to of late.
        If your talking about delteing of posts you can check here for proof. It's also in the other thread.

They are even stealing user created content now as well, banned the creator from the forums and Mark had to go and undo the banning.

Last edited by deanjo; 21 April 2008, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          If your talking about delteing of posts you can check here for proof. It's also in the
          Thank you for the leads on proving it for myself, deanjo . I was understandably hesitant to call it out for what it is shaping up to be, in spite of many claiming it- at least until I saw it for myself.

I will check into it myself here and make my own decisions. I'm already reaching my own conclusions here and they're not pretty- but without good backing, I'm not going to go off of mere suppositions in any of my statements or actions.

[edit]

I've followed up a bit on things. I'm not liking what I'm seeing here- it doesn't look good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Thank you for the leads on proving it for myself, deanjo . I was understandably hesitant to call it out for what it is shaping up to be, in spite of many claiming it- at least until I saw it for myself.

I will check into it myself here and make my own decisions. I'm already reaching my own conclusions here and they're not pretty- but without good backing, I'm not going to go off of mere suppositions in any of my statements or actions.

[edit]

I've followed up a bit on things. I'm not liking what I'm seeing here- it doesn't look good.

I keep hearing the theme of the X-Files whenever I look into the subject. "The Truth is Out There."

Comment

• Even if it is what it looks like to be, there's nothing we can do except act as consumers and if anything avoid products. Is not nice, I thank Epic for their past support, it was (quite literally) fun, but if they want it to be over, there's nothing we can do. I don't regret the money I spent on their products up until now, and that's it.

I just hope this doesn't turn into a witch-hunt... In their forums, I mean, I know there are a lot of pissed off people out there, I know I'd be one of them if I didn't see things the way I do now and have accepted that along full time Linux usage also come some sacrifices like gaming, and now I have moved my "cutting edge" gaming off to console gaming, anyway. I struggled with the decision but in the end I don't regret it.

As far as I'm concerned, Epic can do whatever they want to do with their business.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                Even if it is what it looks like to be, there's nothing we can do except act as consumers and if anything avoid products. Is not nice, I thank Epic for their past support, it was (quite literally) fun, but if they want it to be over, there's nothing we can do. I don't regret the money I spent on their products up until now, and that's it.

I just hope this doesn't turn into a witch-hunt... In their forums, I mean, I know there are a lot of pissed off people out there, I know I'd be one of them if I didn't see things the way I do now and have accepted that along full time Linux usage also come some sacrifices like gaming, and now I have moved my "cutting edge" gaming off to console gaming, anyway. I struggled with the decision but in the end I don't regret it.

As far as I'm concerned, Epic can do whatever they want to do with their business.
                Very true, I guess in their view the userbase of linux players is too little to make any relevant dent into their profits, and a "loss" from them won't cut into their revenues at all. And it would cost them more to support linux client related aspects. Does epic offer techincal support of their previous linux clients? (honest question, i dont konw)

Comment

• No, neither Epic nor any other studio who has released Linux binaries offer support for said binaries, such support falls in the hands of the community entirely. See Neverwinter Nights for example, Bioware didn't offer official support, but has an official Linux community forum, where most support questions are directed and (more importantly) answered. The same was with Epic up until UT2K4 where there is an "official" @icculus.org mailing list for support and feedback. The same goes for id games which are supported in various channels by the community. So support infrastructure is also free for these companies.

Comment

• Unless they're going to surprise us here, it seems that based on their recent actions, the answer, in spite of their claims to the contrary, would be "NO", there won't be a UT3. I could hardly be more surprised at how this is panning out- and their conduct of late in the forums and elsewhere.

Comment

• M$ Epic?

For me the Epic Games can sold then selves to M$, because the completely no respect with Linux community is so big and disproportional that I'll never buy anything from there anymore.
                      They'll bankrupt if depends on my "dirty Linux user" money! (Yes, I had buy UT2004)
                      Epic Games is already dead to me! And if UT3 comes to work on Linux some day, I'll piracy it or will not play, but for sure I'll not buy!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X