Linux Game Publishing Remains Offline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Offtopic: Your cinnamon theme... give me the name...
    Originally posted by FarJumper View Post
    It looks like he uses lxde, not cinnamon
    Linux Mint MATE edition. Love that I can install packages directly from the menu by typing the name in the application search box. It's Gnome 2.32 refined to far greater levels then any other desktop out there.

Also, when you see it, you'll...

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
      The highlighted bit is your problem. When you disable offline mode(or technically a feature required for it to work) then offline mode doesn't work! What a surprise!

I have an extremely shoddy internet connection and I have NEVER had an issue with Steam's offline mode. I don't even need to put Steam in to offline mode it figures that out all by it self. It just continues to work even when I lose my connection.
      That, and if you want a secondary password to keep the kids out of your games and Steam Community stuff do what I did and set the Family View, I have it locked down so that the kids can only access the kid games and not the rest of my 171 game library or get me banned from the Steam community, trade away any of the cards/DOTA2/TF2 items, or spend any Steam Wallet credits.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
        This argument is as tricky as MS UEFI Secure Boot's.

Supposingly to make a more secure boot against viruses.

It's the boardmakers decision to put an option to disable it, yes we know the tale.
        And is the decision of the distros to support it or not.

But in the end, all know that it's a shenanigan to prevent install Linux, or make it difficult to do so, or to restrict what kernel you could install on.
        And that MS is forcing some boradmakers and brands to not include an option to disable it.

With Steam's DRM (is G.E.M. its name?) is the same.

Is one of those "options" you wish never exist.

Better for us if the developers didn't have that choice and release all games DRM-less, ala GoG.com.
        http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

Comment

This argument is as tricky as MS UEFI Secure Boot's.

Supposingly to make a more secure boot against viruses.

It's the boardmakers decision to put an option to disable it, yes we know the tale.
          And is the decision of the distros to support it or not.

But in the end, all know that it's a shenanigan to prevent install Linux, or make it difficult to do so, or to restrict what kernel you could install on.
          And that MS is forcing some boradmakers and brands to not include an option to disable it.

With Steam's DRM (is G.E.M. its name?) is the same.

Is one of those "options" you wish never exist.

Better for us if the developers didn't have that choice and release all games DRM-less, ala GoG.com.
          since you push GOG. i already asked this one here. isn't the DRM-free kinda funny when you support only major DRM pushers? i couldn't care less about DRM free if basic requirement is to install DRM infested os.

Comment

While I agree that Secure UEFI makes linux installation a little bit more tricky, don't forget that in fact very users install their own OSes. Most users just avoid the hassle and use whatever came with their machine.

So what we need is also manufacturer which offer the option to pre-install Linux for those who want it.
            This is slowly happening (you can order some laptops with ubuntu or fedora instead of windows) and one day, steamos might also help accelerate this trend.

Luckily for us, the restriction to Microsoft-only keys is limited for hardware running Windows RT - tablets, and co - where Microsoft's market share a very limited compared the main behemoth (Android).

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
              While I agree that Secure UEFI makes linux installation a little bit more tricky, don't forget that in fact very users install their own OSes. Most users just avoid the hassle and use whatever came with their machine.

So what we need is also manufacturer which offer the option to pre-install Linux for those who want it.
              This is slowly happening (you can order some laptops with ubuntu or fedora instead of windows) and one day, steamos might also help accelerate this trend.
              Linux only OEMs

System76 computers empower the world's curious and capable makers of tomorrow

Get anything you need done for you

Shops that will put whatever OS you tell them to on it
              AVADirect builds custom PCs, gaming computers, notebooks, workstations and more with high quality craftsmanship and great customer service.

Puget Systems specializes in tailor-made computing solutions for all business needs. We build quality workstations and servers for your unique workflows.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                That, and if you want a secondary password to keep the kids out of your games and Steam Community stuff do what I did and set the Family View, I have it locked down so that the kids can only access the kid games and not the rest of my 171 game library or get me banned from the Steam community, trade away any of the cards/DOTA2/TF2 items, or spend any Steam Wallet credits.
                Don't you think that if you can't communicate with your kids so that they respect what they should not touch you have a more serious problems on your hands?

That said, steam offline mode had serious problems in the past, not any more, and you've even had a proof in this thread that it works without being logged in previously...

Comment

Ha, ha, good argument.
                  If Mr. T. supports it, then I have nothing to say.

Well, that list is interesting.

I know there are a few companies that honours its customers giving the real posibility of BUYING a game instead of renting a service to access it.
                  But how much of the total percentage of Steam's released games is?

Very little.

The other publishers (who were a vaste majority) were tempted to use the DRM "option".

So, that is for what I said I prefer STEAM's DRM didn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                    since you push GOG. i already asked this one here. isn't the DRM-free kinda funny when you support only major DRM pushers? i couldn't care less about DRM free if basic requirement is to install DRM infested os.
                    Well.

I get your point. STEAM is on Linux TODAY.

And GoG.com still not.

But don't forget they promished Linux support for the fall of this year.

And I have no doubt they'll acomplish.

Comment

Ha, ha, good argument.
                      If Mr. T. supports it, then I have nothing to say.

Well, that list is interesting.

I know there are a few companies that honours its customers giving the real posibility of BUYING a game instead of renting a service to access it.
                      But how much of the total percentage of Steam's released games is?

Very little.

The other publishers (who were a vaste majority) were tempted to use the DRM "option".

So, that is for what I said I prefer STEAM's DRM didn't exist.
                      I pity the foo that tries to argue with Mr. T.

Vavle's DRM exists to have a far more draconian DRM implemented differently by every publisher out there. Valve's DRM is far more agreeable for the end user then any other DRM scheme out there and most devs prefer to use it over their own solution when selling games via the Steam store, but still user their own DRM in other stores, which has been shown to casue sales numbers on those other shops to be much lower then they are on Steam.

On the other hand, to get some publishers to put their games on Steam at all Valve allows any company to add in their own DRM on top of their game, but very few companies do so and Valve lists it quite clearly when they do so, this results in most people preferring to pirate those games as their DRM is completely anti-consumer like those used by EA and Ubisoft.
                      Last edited by Kivada; 16 June 2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X