No announcement yet.

Civilization V Is Now Available For Linux, SteamOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HD5200 + Mesa 10.2, just played a single player world match and had pretty flawless performance. I was getting around 40 - 60 fps on max settings, dipping to 30 when there were a lot of units around.

The performance is not terrible though, contrary to the Witcher port.

I'll test it on my desktop 7870 later.

Comment

Seems like developer clarify it

Thanks to everyone for the support! Since a few of you have been burned by "wrapped" games in the past, I wanted to put any fears to rest. Aspyr has developed natively and ONLY natively for over 17 years. You will never, EVER see a wrapped port from us

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        good amount of graphics bugs using mesa 10.2 on radeon
        What graphics card you have? Any screenshot?

Comment

Installed on Arch (64-bit), haven't got it to run at all yet. Clicking the 'Play' button pops up the 'Preparing to launch' window briefly, then nothing. No output to stderr or in-client message.

Might simply be that OpenGL 2.1 support is nonexistent - after all, they did say 'current gen hardware' in the announcement - in which case I'll pin my hopes on the 'additional video cards in future updates' bit of that same announcement.

Anyway, at that price it's worth having just in case I ever rebuild and fire up my desktop!

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
            Might simply be that OpenGL 2.1 support is nonexistent - after all, they did say 'current gen hardware' in the announcement - in which case I'll pin my hopes on the 'additional video cards in future updates' bit of that same announcement.
            You can run it with LLVMPipe:
            1. Right click on game in Steam Library -> Properties.
            2. Uncheck "Enable Steam Community In-Game".
            3. Click on "Set launch options" and input "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 %command%" into the form.
            4. Run game normally, decrease all graphics settings to minimum and set lower resolution.
            5. Restart game.
            6. Now start new game, wait before it's load and switch to "Strategic View" (bottom icon before mini map)

In this mode game will looks like that:

Good performance for me with LLVMPipe and i7 4771.

Comment

Originally posted by jery View Post
              Just tested on Debian Jessie with RadeonSi Driver (7850 1GB):
              runs smoothly, but probably because of the driver, I have some glitches (mainly on the halo around the selected unit).
              and the textures are as nice as they are under DirectX11...
              so I'm waiting for mesa 10.2 on Jessie
              +1 here. I'm on Kubuntu 14.04 64 bit and Radeon HD 7870 2GB, though. I have only found that halo bug too. Everything else is really fluid and well rendered. So good job to Aspyr/Firaxis and the mesa devs!
              Last edited by jsa1983; 10 June 2014, 08:08 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Went ahead and bought it as soon as I read the headline. Doesn't work with multi-monitor though... looks like I have to start up with one monitor, and hopefully change an option to windowed or something...

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
                  Went ahead and bought it as soon as I read the headline. Doesn't work with multi-monitor though... looks like I have to start up with one monitor, and hopefully change an option to windowed or something...
                  From what I read in the Steam's forum, the devs are aware of that and will probably address that in the following patch (source: http://steamcommunity.com/app/8930/d...43758003077507).

Comment

I'm running old Intel Graphics (Core2Duo) and this game starts and runs fine on Windows in DX9 mode (I play in strategy view, I prefer it anyway), but obviously since it only exposes OpenGL 2.1 support, this game isn't starting on my Linux partition.

Is there any way to use software rendering or something on Intel graphics (older, like mine) so that I can at least try the game out on my system? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                      Is there any way to use software rendering or something on Intel graphics (older, like mine) so that I can at least try the game out on my system? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
                      I posted it above, here is link to my topic with video:
                      Disclaimer. Q: Why? A: Just for fun! Why no? After all I just like to run everything with software rendering. :) Requirements... New Mesa and LLVMPipe required, e.g I using Kubuntu 14.04 with Oibaf PPA. My "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 glxinfo" output: OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc. OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 256 bits) OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.3.0-devel OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30 If your LLVMPipe...

But let's say fair I doubt that Core2Duo will able to handle even strategy view, but worth to try anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X