Ageia's PhysX Delaying UT3 For Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ageia's PhysX Delaying UT3 For Linux?

Phoronix: Ageia's PhysX Delaying UT3 For Linux?

Last week Ryan "Icculus" Gordon had confirmed that the Linux client and server ports of Unreal Tournament 3 were caught up in a legal issue regarding some middleware used in this latest PC title from Epic Games. However, what is the middleware that Unreal Tournament 3 is caught up in? There is a strong possibility that it deals with the PhysX licensing from Ageia Technologies.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's who I thought was the culprit about a week ago - but who knows?

In truth, only a few people actually know the real reason behind the delay.

For some reason I doubt they'll be talking anytime soon, especially since lawyers are involved.

They're probably under some non-disclosure agreement and/or will loose their jobs if they say anything.

When I was thinking of which piece of middleware would be the problem child, I figured it would HAVE to be something running server side, since one would think the Linux server would be the priority to get out to the public. As we all know, that hasn't happened yet.

Since the server has no need of video playback or lip synchronizing to audio or any of the stuff that is client side only... it leaves very few possibilities as far as which company is at fault, and leads folks like us to believe that it's Ageia.

If they don't respond, it's probably safe to assume that it's their problem.

What's a real pain in the ass is since we both purchased the game already (and opened it) we can't very well go back to the store and return it, can we?

*sigh*

Comment

Considering that the middleware impacted both the server AND the client, according to what I'd gotten from all of this, it's less likely that it's PhysX (Though it's conceivable...) Knowing what I know about Gamespy's attitude towards Linux (Heh... The things I could tell you about the GDC 2004 conference... ) I would be just as inclined to think it's THAT as much as anything else.

Comment

Sigh. I wonder when the name Microsoft will pop out.
        Gears of war port has already shot down by the Redmond FUD-masters.
        - Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
          Sigh. I wonder when the name Microsoft will pop out.
          Gears of war port has already shot down by the Redmond FUD-masters.
          - Gilboa
          And that was unexpected in WHAT way? UT is Epic's and isn't published elsewhere. You can rest assured that if they put the kibosh on something that wasn't published by themselves or put the kibosh on future titles because they did UT for Linux, there'd be one HELL of a lawsuit as a result for it.

Gears of War was a Microsoft Games title- whatever possessed people to think that the publisher would give us the time of day, considering whom it was?

Comment

Well, Epic could have said that there's no "Games for Windows"-deal, if there's no Linux-client.

But maybe I'm just dreaming here.

Comment

Well if it would be only the PhysX engine then a server edition could be out already - as there have been a server edition for the demo too. Maybe the PS3 port took longer than expected and Linux will be the last port. So the question is what will be first: wine running it or native client

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Considering that the middleware impacted both the server AND the client, according to what I'd gotten from all of this, it's less likely that it's PhysX (Though it's conceivable...) Knowing what I know about Gamespy's attitude towards Linux (Heh... The things I could tell you about the GDC 2004 conference... ) I would be just as inclined to think it's THAT as much as anything else.
                Wasn't GameSpy being used by the Windows version of America's Army back in the days when Icculus was working on the Linux version, I know he had some solution then?
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  And that was unexpected in WHAT way? UT is Epic's and isn't published elsewhere. You can rest assured that if they put the kibosh on something that wasn't published by themselves or put the kibosh on future titles because they did UT for Linux, there'd be one HELL of a lawsuit as a result for it.

Gears of War was a Microsoft Games title- whatever possessed people to think that the publisher would give us the time of day, considering whom it was?
                  OK, the Gears of War part was a bit over the top (Read: I know that it is a Microsoft game, and unless they are official declared as Monopoly in the OS/Games market, you cannot force them to create a Linux version... Oh wait...).
                  Anyways, the French have a saying - "Cheche La Femme" (I hope I got the spelling right). I have a saying "Cherche La Microsoft", read: anytime something ugly/semi-legal/etc happens you can always, somehow find Microsoft's greasy hand in it.

Am I wrong? possibly. But given our past experience I would not bet the farm on it.

- Gilboa
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

im glad i didnt rush out to buy it as i had planned..

im gonna sit tight and wait for the binaries to actually surface, THEN i can go buy it..

Comment

Working...
                    X