Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XCOM: Enemy Unknown Is Coming Out For Linux

Phoronix: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Is Coming Out For Linux

Feral Interactive has officially confirmed today their first game they will be natively porting to Linux, XCOM: Enemy Unknown...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Worth noting I got confirmation directly that it is Native: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...announced.3778

They also aren't planned a beta, so we are waiting on the full release.

Comment

Turn based? No sorry, I would rather play chess on an actual physical board.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        It is Turn-Based, but it really is one of the better RTS games Ive played in a loooooooong time. I grew up on Age Of Empires and Fire Emblem, and this is up there with Fire Emblem.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
          Have you even tried the original X-COM? It's frequently counted among the best games of all time for good reasons.

Comment

This is one of the best games out there, which I still play. On my iPad AND Windows machine. Great it's coming to Linux!

Comment

Awsome, I was so hoping that this would happen

Comment

Nice, although at least the Windows version has had a plethora of bugs and unpolished features (network code is just embarrassing) and obviously it's DRM'ed. So I will stick with UFO: Alien Invasion (doing an ironman run there right now, it's pretty intense).

Comment

I am sticking with the original and maybe with Ufo AI until it is clear that the games works, is native and possibly free of DRM. The original was awesome. And I LOVE turn based strategy when it comes to strategy. RTS feels just unfair. The computer never has to use a physical mouse, select units, click, darn! misclicked / misselected, overcome physical inertia, scroll over a map and so on. So the computer is kind of cheating here. And probably doesn't obey a fog of war feature.
                  God, reading the article makes me want to dive in the original again and use plastic explosives on ... ah, everything. It was an awesome mix of strategy, economy simulation, destroying things and scary nightly gardens.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    The computer never has to use a physical mouse, select units, click, darn! misclicked / misselected, overcome physical inertia, scroll over a map and so on. So the computer is kind of cheating here.
                    It's easy enough to force the AI to obey the fog of war and give it a rate limit of so many clicks per second to make it generally equivalent to what a person can do. But obviously that depends on how it's been coded. Generally you have to make it smarter if you've got it obeying restrictions like that - it's usually easier to just let it cheat and be dumber.

Comment

Working...
                    X