Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 4.5 Game Engine Released With Many Linux Fixes

Phoronix: Unity 4.5 Game Engine Released With Many Linux Fixes

Version 4.5 of the Unity Game Engine is now available and it carries 450+ reported fixes, redoes the 2D physics support, updates their shader compiler, and has many other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if the drivers grossly underreport the vram amount on purpose or just buggy?
    And which drivers?

Comment

where is linux link ?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Unity 4.5 Game Engine Released With Many Linux Fixes

Version 4.5 of the Unity Game Engine is now available and it carries 450+ reported fixes, redoes the 2D physics support, updates their shader compiler, and has many other changes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcwMTM

i have not found any linux version of Unity ???

Unity is the ultimate game development platform. Use Unity to build high-quality 3D and 2D games, deploy them across mobile, desktop, VR/AR, consoles or the Web, and connect with loyal and enthusiastic players and customers.

Are you tallking about the unity Pro ? (75$/month) ???

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        I wonder if the drivers grossly underreport the vram amount on purpose or just buggy?
        And which drivers?
        I'm wondering if that means they worked around not getting vram amounts correctly from the OSS drivers - maybe before their code counted that as 0 (because the drivers didn't have a method to return it), and now it defaults to something reasonable.

The wording is a little strange, but it sounds like something somebody from marketing could have translated in that fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by letochagone View Post

Unity is the ultimate game development platform. Use Unity to build high-quality 3D and 2D games, deploy them across mobile, desktop, VR/AR, consoles or the Web, and connect with loyal and enthusiastic players and customers.

AFAIK there's no unity editor for Linux yet, but since 4.0 you can deploy your game for Linux from Win/Mac(?) editor

Comment

Originally posted by letochagone View Post

AFAIK, there isn't a Linux version of the the Unity IDE yet, just support for exporting Linux runtimes. A shame really.

Comment

Originally posted by huyderman View Post
              AFAIK, there isn't a Linux version of the the Unity IDE yet, just support for exporting Linux runtimes. A shame really.
              if you read their forums and their stance on linux, you can safely remove "yet". it's not going to happen'

you can find comments like "if we knew we would sell 1000 pro licenses on day one, maybe...". which kind of speaks of their software and their motivation on linux client.
              if you need 1.5 million just to port it
              - you either screwed software so badly you need at least 10 complete rewrites to fix it
              - or you just don't want to port it... EVAH!!!!

good news is that UE4 which is cheaper and better than unity is coming along nicely for linux. not to mention, there is access to source code. right now only a complete moron would choose unity for work on multiplatform title, you simply can't support platform if you need to cross fingers and hope it will work, since you can't even test it properly

Comment

Working...
              X