Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Quality Of The Witcher 2 Linux Port Is Upsetting Many Gamers

Phoronix: The Quality Of The Witcher 2 Linux Port Is Upsetting Many Gamers

Yesterday marked the release of The Witcher 2 Officially Released For Linux for Linux gamers. This is the first time The Witcher is coming to Linux, but sadly the quality of the port leaves a lot to be desired...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Works well with Nvidia? Shocker!

"Right now for The Witcher 2 on Linux, there's only dominant success stories heard from those with the binary NVIDIA Linux graphics driver on GeForce hardware."

That's true for most of the resource demanding games that use Linux. Intel's IGPs... even if the drivers are up to snuff... aren't stellar for high-end games on any platform, and we all know about Catalyst's issues.

That's not to say that this is a perfect port, but many of the complaints about how the game is "unplayable" come from people using hardware that wouldn't let you run Witcher 2 very well under Windows either.

Comment

This port is shit, just use wine and it will run much better.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Right now for The Witcher 2 on Linux, there's only dominant success stories heard from those with the binary NVIDIA Linux graphics driver on GeForce hardware.
        That's just so astonishing. I never would have guessed that. When I clicked the article link I could never have predicted a statement like that would appear in the body.

Seriously though... hopefully things get cleaned up and other people can have a better experience.

Comment

This sucks. I just bought the game before reading this.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            That's not to say that this is a perfect port, but many of the complaints about how the game is "unplayable" come from people using hardware that wouldn't let you run Witcher 2 very well under Windows either.
            I haven't checked myself if this is true or not but there is no doubt in my mind you're right. With catalyst 14.4, I doubt the game is that bad. I personally haven't been able to play the game at all, because Steam for whatever reason thinks I don't have GLX extensions or direct rendering, when glxinfo says I do (and because of this, I'm unable to play any of my steam games). I have low expectations for this game to play well on my hardware, but I'm honestly ok with waiting until it gets patched up a little.

I bought the game to help the cause, but I'm likely only going to play it on Windows.

Comment

The moral of the story kids remains the same. If you want the best graphics option for linux, that will give you the least amount of trouble, nVidia card with nVidia blob. I just hope with Steam taking off that eventually the other graphics vendors start taking their driver development for linux more serious.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                This port is shit, just use wine and it will run much better.
                Yes. I can't think about other way to describe my feelings better.

Comment

The funny part is: Steam lists the minimum CPU requirements for the Linux version as Core 2 Duo and the recommended requirements as Quad Core Intel. What improvements do you get from a quad core CPU if your wrapper is single threaded?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    The moral of the story kids remains the same. If you want the best graphics option for linux, that will give you the least amount of trouble, nVidia card with nVidia blob.
                    This crappy port working like shit on _ANY_ GPU. Performance on Nvidia is worse than with Wine and it's 3-4 times slower than on Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X