The Quality Of The Witcher 2 Linux Port Is Upsetting Many Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dodged a bullet there...

Is there a way to find out if a game uses such a technology (be it wine or this eon stuff) BEFORE buying/downloading it?

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
      dodged a bullet there...

Is there a way to find out if a game uses such a technology (be it wine or this eon stuff) BEFORE buying/downloading it?

That's physically impossible!

It would be like saying that there would be a way for one person or group of people to play a game before other people bought it and then share information about the game and their experiences with other people! That's never going to happen in a million years!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I haven't checked myself if this is true or not but there is no doubt in my mind you're right. With catalyst 14.4, I doubt the game is that bad. I personally haven't been able to play the game at all, because Steam for whatever reason thinks I don't have GLX extensions or direct rendering, when glxinfo says I do (and because of this, I'm unable to play any of my steam games). I have low expectations for this game to play well on my hardware, but I'm honestly ok with waiting until it gets patched up a little.

I bought the game to help the cause, but I'm likely only going to play it on Windows.
        That sounds suspiciously like the problem I had. It's likely the 32 bit direct rendering GLX context (that Steam is aware of). What I found is that the xorg/mesa updates (at least the i386 counterparts) were suddenly compiled with a newer gcc and Steam ships its own libraries, and that includes the libgcc_s.so.1 from gcc 4.6.

Code:
        cd /wherever/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu
        mv libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1.bak
        ln -s /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1
        I'm on Mint 16 with xorg-edgers ppa. If you're using something non-ubuntu based, your 32 bit libgcc_s.so.1 may be in a different place, but the solution is likely the same. (That's a dumb assed thing to do... shipping a libgcc_s.so.1 with the product. That library is backwards compatible by design and shouldn't need to be shipped... and an old one will always have the wrong symbols if the system's libraries are compiled with a newer compiler)

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Works fine here on the Titan, same performance as in windows. YMMV.
          I think your bench comparison will be incomplete without glxgear performance as well.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I haven't checked myself if this is true or not but there is no doubt in my mind you're right. With catalyst 14.4, I doubt the game is that bad. I personally haven't been able to play the game at all, because Steam for whatever reason thinks I don't have GLX extensions or direct rendering, when glxinfo says I do (and because of this, I'm unable to play any of my steam games). I have low expectations for this game to play well on my hardware, but I'm honestly ok with waiting until it gets patched up a little.

I bought the game to help the cause, but I'm likely only going to play it on Windows.
            The game works on AMD hardware... I guess. Hard to tell crashes in the tutorial and I refuse to play it further. Back to dota.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              (as this post claims) eon warapper runs only one core... so works better on old pentium 4 (3.8Ghz) ahahhahahah
              um, you do know that the performance even single-threaded apps isn't just a matter of raw clockspeed, right? Core and newer architecture are capable of way more efficient instructions per second even on just one core.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                I opened a "LETS FIX IT instead of complaining!" thread here to support the devs!:
                http://steamcommunity.com/app/20920/...8180993106963/
                We can't fix it, this is proprietary.

Hooray.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
                  This crappy port working like shit on _ANY_ GPU. Performance on Nvidia is worse than with Wine and it's 3-4 times slower than on Windows.
                  It's no worse than the OSX port, though that's really an aside.

The issue here is not about The Witcher 2. This is about the reality of developers porting games to Linux, an ostensibly new platform for most of these people. Linux has come to prominence as the potential future for PC gaming in only the past year -- many of these companies are just now starting to investigate Linux as an option.

What does this mean for us as Linux gamers?

It means that there are going to be a lot of shitty ports over the next year or so. We'll need to start to accept that -- we need to be respectful to developers who make the jump (the risk, one might argue) to release on Linux. We can't tell developers they're terrible, or their decisions are terrible, while they're trying to provide for the platform that you choose to use.

Does this mean they shouldn't strive to improve? Of course not. But it means that we shouldn't be shitty towards these developers, we shouldn't be over critical of them. Despite what some people might believe, The Witcher 2 port is not a money-grab -- there may be a lot of money to be made in the Linux sector in the future, but right now it's not nearly what people may think it is. All they had to do would be to slap a discount on the game on Steam and it'd rise to the top; they didn't even have to do the port to get the sale. But it shows that they're interested, and paying attention.

You need to learn to walk before you can run -- even Valve ran into that issue with their initial releases. They're finally at a position where their Linux releases are on par with their Windows releases, but even that varies between drivers and chipsets. And Valve has far, far more resources than many of these developers do.
                  Last edited by dffx; 23 May 2014, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
                    I think your bench comparison will be incomplete without glxgear performance as well.
                    Smacks against the 85 Hz limit of my monitors in either OS.

Comment

AMD Catalyst 14.4 Rev. 2 with The Witcher 2 fixes:

Comment

Working...
                      X