Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Witcher 2 Officially Released For Linux

Phoronix: The Witcher 2 Officially Released For Linux

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition is now officially available for SteamOS / Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I bought this back when they announced GOG was coming to Linux so I can install it when it gets ported.

Amazing! Can't wait to play it!

edit:
    not available on linux on GOG... :/

Comment

Benchmark mode available?

Comment

@peppercats, yeah, but I've decided to buy it again, it's worth it. ;-)
        Maybe they will announce Linux support just after Steam promo will end? :-D
        I remember that I bought it when it was 50% on gog, next day it was 75% off (I've got first one for free earlier).

Comment

The current AMD Catalyst driver contains a problem which stops the game from running. AMD have already fixed the problem, and the fix will be in the next driver release.

Intel is not supported simply because the driver performance is currently insufficient to run the game well enough. It will run, but the framerate is not good.

The open source Nouveau and Radeon drivers are simply not feature complete enough to run the game. Witcher 2's RED Engine is making full use of OpenGL 3.2 features.
          Nouveau is known to be broken, but both R600g and RadeonSI support OpenGL 3.3 at moment and usually work a lot better than Catalyst.
          Is it really not supported or just not supported officially?
          Your mileage my vary but the tests we made under Ubuntu 13.10 and 14.04 did not go well. It's possible with bleeding edge versions, on different hardware, it would run well. We'd appreciate feedback on this actually. So I guess it's "not supported officially at this time".
          Anyone that can test it on latest git?

Anyway, it's a great release. On par with Metro, if not even more important.
          Dunno if I want to buy it, on one side it seems an interesting game, it's only 4? and they did a lot of work to port it to Linux. On the other side, I don't really play games.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
            Anyone that can test it on latest git?

Anyway, it's a great release. On par with Metro, if not even more important.
            Dunno if I want to buy it, on one side it seems an interesting game, it's only 4? and they did a lot of work to port it to Linux. On the other side, I don't really play games.
            The claim about the Radeon drivers not working is wrong, modern mesa supports GL 3.3 fully with a lot of 4.x extensions.

Guessing they tested it against something like ubuntu LTS mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              The claim about the Radeon drivers not working is wrong, modern mesa supports GL 3.3 fully with a lot of 4.x extensions.

Guessing they tested it against something like ubuntu LTS mesa.
              I know, i know. They said that it got tested with Ubuntu 14.04. I can't remember if it has OpenGL 3.3 ootb.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                Benchmark mode available?
                Unless one was added in a patch since I last played (which is basically at the release of the game), there never was a benchmark tool in Witcher 2.

Comment

Bought it. Wooohooo!

Comment

Intel card?

I know system requirements say integrated GPU are not supported, but is there someone that tested the game on a Intel HD4000 card and can confirm if the game does not start/stutters/is very slow/whatever?

P.s.: first post, hi guys

Comment

Working...
                    X