No announcement yet.

The Witcher 2 Officially Released For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hah, native 12 fps, wine 50, Windows 100.

Comment

• Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
      got it yesterday once I saw the steam news. could not resist. even if I cannot play it at the moment due to sw/hw, I got it to show support for Linux (and 3.99 is a steal :-))

installing at the moment, I hope I can at least start it and test.
      hmm ... not able to edit my own post ...

Anyway, installd it, tried to run it, slow as hell, even sound is skipping. I am quite surprised that my system cannot even manage low settings. Metro: LL works ok on my rig (not good but playable).

Maybe a new GPU is needed :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
        hmm ... not able to edit my own post ...

Anyway, installd it, tried to run it, slow as hell, even sound is skipping. I am quite surprised that my system cannot even manage low settings. Metro: LL works ok on my rig (not good but playable).

Maybe a new GPU is needed :-)
        The problem is that the wrapper used in Witcher 2 cannot handle multithreaded rendering at all. Therefore, regardless of what kind of GPU you have, it will run horribly.

Comment

• How do you get the frame-rate numbers? (for the Linux version, with the nvidia blob)

Comment

• Originally posted by stqn View Post
            How do you get the frame-rate numbers? (for the Linux version, with the nvidia blob)

eON (Steam version only for now): get voglperf, start it, run: game start 20920 click ok to that Steam prompt to permit it to run and after the game starts run: fpsprint on and/or fpsshow on to get the OSD
            As far as game sites are concerned, the big problem is that they're trying to be three things at the same time, often in the same article. Journalists, reporting information that should be, as far as possible, factual. Op-ed commentators writing their own opinions, and advertising copywriters...

Comment

• Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
              I opened a "LETS FIX IT instead of complaining!" thread here to support the devs!:
              http://steamcommunity.com/app/20920/...8180993106963/
              VD answered my request to support / answer in this thread via email:
              "Rest assured we are paying attention and working with Valve, the video driver team and CDP to address as many issues a possible. CDP have asked us to allow them to respond officially, so we will not be responding to threads directly. But do please continue, we are totally committed to addressing the current issues. We will continue to monitor the thread!"

they are talking about the thread linked above!

Comment

• small update yesterday:
                Changelog for today's patch:
                * The "Summer Solstice" content is now available for Linux
                * Linux: configuration issues on certain locales have been fixed
                * Linux: library support for various Linux distributions improved
                @

Comment

• heh game did not like ossv4

Oh well it's uses wrapper anyway so it's same to run it under wine which works just fine(thank god you could backup it from native steam and install backup to wine version of steam). Maybe I will try it again with pulse or alsa when I update my motherboard & processor but until then I will continue to use ossv4+wine.

Comment

• Peter Mulholland of Virtual Programming started tackling github issues: https://github.com/vpltd-peterm?tab=activity

Comment

• Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                      Peter Mulholland of Virtual Programming started tackling github issues: https://github.com/vpltd-peterm?tab=activity
                      Thanks for mentionning this!
                      There?s hope things will get better .

Comment

Working...
                      X