Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0 A.D. Alpha 16 Shines As An Open-Source Ancient Warfare Game

Phoronix: 0 A.D. Alpha 16 Shines As An Open-Source Ancient Warfare Game

The 0 A.D. ancient warfare real-time strategy game is out this weekend with a significant update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The game is very nice, although it has problem with single core CPU performance. To many units and it lags.

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
      The game is very nice, although it has problem with single core CPU performance. To many units and it lags.
      Its other way around - single core CPU has a problem with this game.
      This kind of a problem surfaces every time.
      Its called outdated hardware.

Comment

I wouldn't call core i5/i7 outdated

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
          Its other way around - single core CPU has a problem with this game.
          This kind of a problem surfaces every time.
          Its called outdated hardware.
          The OP's phrasing could have been better, but you've got it backward. The game only uses a single core for everything, so modern multi-core CPUs are useless. In fact they're often slower per-core than older generations.
          Combine that with a very resource-intensive game, and not even an Ivy Bridge i5 will perform solidly. The pathfinder rewrite should help (for Alpha 17/18?), but threading isn't planned until the last Alpha releases AFAIK.

Comment

Ah, okay. Sorry, I misunderstood. This is ofc a bad thing and serious bottleneck, similar to 4GiB limit of 32bit process.

Comment

Working...
            X