Codemasters Will Eventually Port Games To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
    My only concern is how developer friendly this new console of theirs is going to be... If they make it anal retentive to developers instead of building out a solid framework, it's not going to seriously take off right away.
    Given that SteamOS is Real Linux(tm), basically it'll be as easy/hard to develop for as normal desktop linux.

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
    They really have one shot at this, as far as I can see, and they need all the help and assistance they can get in dethroning gorillas that reign the gaming industry now.
    If you think that you really don't understand what Valve is doing. Valve isn't playing a short game that relies upon the success of any particular steammachine or even the immediate success of the steam machines, Valve is playing at a long game of taking over the console market and unifying the PC and console ecosystems and as a side effect of that will make Linux a viable gaming platform and in the very long term the preferred platform, at which point we'll probably start seeing SteamOS gaming laptops and desktops showing up, which may eventually trickle down into more consumer brands. If Adobe Photoshop, MS Office, and other 'critical applications' get ported over to SteamOS and the OEMs do end up pushing SteamOS on the desktop/laptop then maybe in 5-10 years Linux will have displaced windows on the desktop front.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      Given that SteamOS is Real Linux(tm), basically it'll be as easy/hard to develop for as normal desktop linux.

If you think that you really don't understand what Valve is doing. Valve isn't playing a short game that relies upon the success of any particular steammachine or even the immediate success of the steam machines, Valve is playing at a long game of taking over the console market and unifying the PC and console ecosystems and as a side effect of that will make Linux a viable gaming platform and in the very long term the preferred platform, at which point we'll probably start seeing SteamOS gaming laptops and desktops showing up, which may eventually trickle down into more consumer brands. If Adobe Photoshop, MS Office, and other 'critical applications' get ported over to SteamOS and the OEMs do end up pushing SteamOS on the desktop/laptop then maybe in 5-10 years Linux will have displaced windows on the desktop front.
      A SteamOS 'quickboot' option side-by-side *cough, dual-boot* your existing install would be sweet. Boot to the BigScreen in 3 seconds and watch your shows, play some base games etc on flights.
      Hi

Comment

It's always great news when more game companies jump on the Linux ship! They days of Windows are numbered if this keeps up

Comment

If you support Codemasters, you support ponies.

(they hired one of the PonyKart devs :P)

Comment

Damnit, I gave away my force feedback wheel (SideWinder) less than a year ago ...

Nevertheeless, great move by codeasters!

Comment

Would like to see Overlord2

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                D0pamine is pleased with this news

Codemasters has produced many excellent games - from the dizzy series to the toca series ( i prefer dizzy )

EDIT:- Are the Oliver twins still involved in game development?
                Yes they are. They did a Kickstarter not that long back for a new version of Dizzy but wasn't a success, shortly afterwards their company "blitz games" went bust. Sorry if I've remembered this wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X