Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borderlands Is Being Considered For Linux

Phoronix: Borderlands Is Being Considered For Linux

Gearbox Software is currently evaluating consumer interest in bringing Borderlands 2 to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As thrilled as I would be about this actually happening, I don't think it really will.

Comment

Originally posted by Helios747 View Post
      As thrilled as I would be about this actually happening, I don't think it really will.
      I think they might.

More accurately, I think that, due to their traditional close partnership with Valve, they're probably being persuaded into developing for Linux. However, this is not 1999 anymore, and Gearbox's success does not hinge on Half-Life 1 expansion sales, and they haven't been beholden to Valve for a very, very long time, and can make their own decisions. Thus they are gauging the interest to see what will come of it.

Borderlands 1/2 are some of the most popular games to play in Wine, in part because they run so well in them. Just look at the AppDb entries for the Borderlands games -- they're some of the most active pages in the AppDb, outside of maybe League of Legends and Blizzard games.

$10 says they already have the port underway, they're just stirring up some initial hype in it.

Comment

Originally posted by dffx View Post
        I think they might.

More accurately, I think that, due to their traditional close partnership with Valve, they're probably being persuaded into developing for Linux. However, this is not 1999 anymore, and Gearbox's success does not hinge on Half-Life 1 expansion sales, and they haven't been beholden to Valve for a very, very long time, and can make their own decisions. Thus they are gauging the interest to see what will come of it.

Borderlands 1/2 are some of the most popular games to play in Wine, in part because they run so well in them. Just look at the AppDb entries for the Borderlands games -- they're some of the most active pages in the AppDb, outside of maybe League of Legends and Blizzard games.

$10 says they already have the port underway, they're just stirring up some initial hype in it.
        Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Comment

If it's already on Mac I don't see what the trouble is, surely most of the work has already been done.

Comment

Reddit Thread

Looks like this is the reddit thread he is talking about http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming...rderlands_for/

So last weekend I was at PAX and went to the Gearbox panel.

There they discussed how the Vita port of Borderlands 2 came to be. Essentially what happened was the Vita community made enough noise that Gearbox listened.

Afterwards I went and asked them about a Linux port and they said that as a community we need to make ourselves heard.

So, if you run a Linux gaming site(I know there is a few here that do) start write an article or two stating that we are a passionate group and would love it.

If you are not you can call them out on twitter at @2k @Borderlands, @gearboxsoftware and @DuvalMagic

Or if twitter is not your thing send them an email here: http://gearboxsoftware.com/contact

Lets get Borderlands on Linux!

Comment

It's on UE3 already.
              How much work would porting the game to UE4 be?
              That would give it Linux support right there.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                It's on UE3 already.
                How much work would porting the game to UE4 be?
                That would give it Linux support right there.
                Borderlands 3 confirmed!

Comment

I would buy a complete edition of Bords2 if coming to linux...even knowing that i didnt like most of FPS outthere...

Comment

Originally posted by goCorinthians View Post
                    I would buy a complete edition of Bords2 if coming to linux...even knowing that i didnt like most of FPS outthere...
                    +1 (really, 5 characters per post limit?)

Comment

Working...
                    X