• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
    http://cdn.overclock.net/2/2b/2b6aba02_3.png - Linux
    http://cdn.overclock.net/6/66/66b373..._22_04_753.png - Windows
    http://cdn.overclock.net/b/b1/b1b5fd92_10.png - Linux
    http://cdn.overclock.net/9/91/9121b6..._36_14_932.png - Windows

The shadows on Linux / OS X are horrid and the lighting is messed up - even the textures are lower res for whatever reason. Also there's no tesselation with OpenGL.
    To me these screens show a significant drop in graphics. But that's me. I should have stated that it was my opinion in my post. And i absolutely agree with you that they're still amazing graphics but that doesn't mean they aren't "significantly worse" at least for me.

I just made a simple yes/no question, I have no idea why you had to be so aggressive and come with "entitlement" or w/e. I just want the same or very similar experience across all platforms - as everyone should want too.
    There is when you assume entitlement to begin with. Linux is still in the early stages, your post read a bit snotty like and undeserving.

Also the Shadows on MLL on my Linux install do not look that bad. There is no tessellation, you are quite correct. The current performance level of Drivers is lower than windows on Linux which almost certainly factored into their decision as OpenGL criteria are not met across the board yet. I too, like you was annoyed at the simple settings but the graphics still look amazing on 10/10 setting @ 1440p.

personally i just want all the Devs who are being lazy to pull their finger out and port to Linux. Its amazing to think that so many are DX10 / DX11 AAA games and havent been ported yet OpenGL versions sit on a disc somewhere for the PS3 and the code base (if not the textures or settings) is at least a lot closer than Windows.

but possibly the most frustrating thing of all that is Linux and gaming is AMD.
    Last edited by ForkedPython; 19 April 2014, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      Blizzard should really get behind Linux as well. As much as I love Wine, it's not nearly compatible or fast enough for gaming. To give an idea, World of Warcraft was tested in Wine, but with problems. Specifically with open source drivers, cause I have this stupid hybrid ATI 4250/5470 setup that forces me to do this. One time I was in a city in the game and walking into a building would cause everything to go multi-colored. Running the game in D3D9 mode would produce 6 fps, and with CSMT enabled I get 8 fps. OpenGL gives me 15 fps. Recently a patch to WoW now prevents me from running the game in 64-bit. BTW, this game is fully playable in Windows 7 on the same hardware and I can even turn on DX11 for a small performance boost.

Any game that's available on the Mac should also be on Linux. Cause Wine sucks. I'm sure some of my problems aren't entirely Wine's fault, cause open source drivers aren't exactly the pinnacle of drivers, but for better or worse a lot of people are stuck with them. And in all honestly, they only seem to hate Wine. Doesn't matter anyway, cause hardly anything I try in Wine doesn't seem to work.

Take for example Dark Souls, which you could get working but you'd have to use some underhanded patch like a pirate, and no multiplayer. Also Origin won't even install on 64-bit Wine, which are the majority of applications I run into. Once I got Origin working, I can't download a game cause of a QT problem. You can patch the QT file and get it working, but then anything that downloads takes forever. Took me 6 hours to download Mass Effect. Why even use 64-bit Wine when 32-bit Wine is so much more compatible?

Nope nope nope, so much nope. Games need to be ported directly to Linux.
      I don't play a large library of games, but most work just fine under Wine for me. The only two games I care about that don't work so well on it are Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2, and afaik, both can actually be pretty playable with NVIDIA (I use AMD).

As for 64-bit Wine, unless you're playing 64-bit games, using a 64-bit prefix is just asking for trouble. The only rare exception (that I know of) where a 32-bit game would benefit in a 64-bit prefix is if the game itself locks certain (like highest Texture Quality) settings from 32-bit OSs due to memory restrictions.

When I set-up my Wine prefixes, I simply throw all my stuff in 32-bit prefixes, since none of the games I play have 64-bit executables.

Comment

Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
        There is no tessellation, you are quite correct. The current performance level of Drivers is lower than windows on Linux which almost certainly factored into their decision as OpenGL criteria are not met across the board yet.
        I'd bet that the fact that it doesn't support tessellation with OpenGL is simply because their engine didn't even support OGL4.0 by the time they started porting. As of right now, they seem to be developing Metro: Redux which, supposedly, will be a remastered 2033 with Last Light included for X1, PS4 and PC. Hopefully those versions will come to Linux with full OGL4.4 support now - It's time to actually compare OGL4.4 vs D3D11.2/12 in a real world situation to see who's the winner

Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
        but possibly the most frustrating thing of all that is Linux and gaming is AMD.
        I wouldn't worry about that. Valve's pushing so hard on Linux that AMD's quality will most likely grow at a very fast rate.

Comment

if it runs on the Unreal Engine than I don't see it being that hard to port to linux. Both Deadfall Adventures and Painkiller Hell & Damnation are on the UE engine, now I know they are really buggy for people who aren't running nvidia but it's not like borderlands 2 would be the first UE game to come to linux.

Comment

I do not take anything serious that this randy has too say.

Gearbox can put their games were the sun does not shine.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
              I wouldn't worry about that. Valve's pushing so hard on Linux that AMD's quality will most likely grow at a very fast rate.
              Don't hold your breath.

Comment

Only if they have a menu option to make the B2 game use the old school menu system that they used in B1. I hated B2 for that reason... I have both on steam.

I feel like the game was made for console gamers and doesn't resemble the feel of a PC game. Which is why I enjoyed B1 more than B2.

Comment

Working...
                X