Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Use Reported At About 1.2%

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Use Reported At About 1.2%

Valve has updated their monthly statistics for operating system use and other system attributes via their Steam Hardware Survey...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder why we don't see more AAA titles on Steam Linux by now.
    Seems like the publishers wait for the very day the Steam Machines are officially released.

Wouldn't it be a great chance to release some of the titles (probably ported already) this time around
    to get some bugs fixed until the SM will be available? Apparently it's not an option.
    Not to mention the great opportunity to get accustomed with the new OS/environment.

Comment

I am more interested in per game ratio. How many people play DOTA2 or TF2 in Linux? Or Metro Last Light? That would indicate truly what is the linux percentage. As there are many few linux games still available, Linux user percentage will be affected by that.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
        Seems like the publishers wait for the very day the Steam Machines are officially released.
        I wouldn't be surprised if they did just that. After all, in their view SteamOS is a console, and they are used to console manufacturers asking them to make games exclusive and launch titles.

Comment

they have to port major legacy famous titles over Linux systems... a Linux team could provide these portings also improving graphical shaders and rendering...

See this example: http://youtu.be/WWS9cATCSEo

What about general Linux systems market trend?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            See the title of this article.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              I wouldn't be surprised if they did just that. After all, in their view SteamOS is a console, and they are used to console manufacturers asking them to make games exclusive and launch titles.
              I think that's only part of the picture. The drivers are a bigger issue. Both AMD and Intel are in relatively poor condition compared to the nvidia closed source drivers. It seems the latest AMD drivers have caught up significantly, but I wouldn't consider them stable enough (in terms of performance, not reliability) to make developers of AAA titles feel good about releasing a game this soon. Nvidia being the only solid choice for linux isn't good enough, and since the first Steam boxes are going to be nvidia based, it makes sense why the AAA titles might wait for the release of that.

Keep in mind here I don't feel the same way about independent games. Intel and AMD (including open source) are perfectly fine for most indie games.

Comment

Can't wait for Project Cars. Anyone knows if there will be a AC Cobra, Jaguar E-Type etc. I love those old english cars.

Comment

IMHO, for things really evolve in the desired direction , we 3 things:

1. AMD get their s**t togheter.
                  They need to improve their drivers in special the stuttering issues
                  in game engines like Source.

2. AMD is very important because only with AMD hardware , more exactly , with their APUs, will be possible make cheap consoles (sub-500 USD. possibly even sub-500 USD) with a minimum of performance to play well , i won't all, but at least a good amount of not-so demanding AAA titles (or at least not worse than in other consoles).
                  Even if there would not be offcial consoles in that range, it will be possible to anyone DIY a cheap SteamBox with AMD Hardware.

3. No Matter Valve's Boss doesn't like the idea of exclusives, when these consoles be launched officially , it NEEDS AT LEAST ONE EXCLUSIVE title. If you don't believe this, just see what TITANFALL is doing helping the XB1 sales still float.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                    it NEEDS AT LEAST ONE EXCLUSIVE title
                    Trust me, it does not need eclusive titles.
                    BUT: I bet my ass, you will be able to play Half-Life 3 and Portal 3 on SteamOS/Linux FOR FREE. (At least for the first half year)

Comment

Working...
                    X