Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations For Porting Your Game To Linux

Phoronix: Recommendations For Porting Your Game To Linux

Leszek Godlewski, the developer that ported Painkiller to Linux and previously talked about lessons in porting games to Linux (plus more), he's now out with an article covering other recommendations for potential Linux game developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For my current project, switching the linker from GNU ld to gold took the link time down from 18 to 5 seconds on my Xeon E3-1240 v3.
    Too bad we can't test it by ourselves. *cough cough*

we shouldn't need to be doing all this, we shouldn't need to do so much research and documentation crunching just to do such basic things
    We shouldn't need condoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      Too bad we can't test it by ourselves. *cough cough*
      Sure you can (just not with his code), just follow the advice given in the discussed article, and maybe this too, and compile your favorite program once with gnu ld and once with gold. Simple enough, I'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
        Sure you can (just not with his code)
        That was the point!

Comment

A pity Painkiller Hell and Damnation isn't available DRM-free. I'm playing now the first game (GOG version in Wine).

Comment

I don't see why you need his code to validate the claim that ld.gold is faster than default ld. You might as well complain that you don't have a Xeon processor while you're at it.

Comment

Oh btw, gold is in binutils by default on ArchLinux. I think -fuse-linker-plugin -fuse-ld=gold in compiler options works for enabling it, but I don't know how to verify that at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                Oh btw, gold is in binutils by default on ArchLinux. I think -fuse-linker-plugin -fuse-ld=gold in compiler options works for enabling it, but I don't know how to verify that at the moment.
                yes it is

pacman -Ql binutils | grep /usr/bin

it is just not the default one.

Comment

Working...
                X