Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Games Loves Linux, Rolls Out UE4 Linux/SteamOS Support

Phoronix: Epic Games Loves Linux, Rolls Out UE4 Linux/SteamOS Support

One month after releasing Unreal Engine 4 and talking about Unreal Engine 4 Linux support, Epic Games released Unreal Engine 4.1 preview today and it's paired with first-rate Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this just deployment or does the editor work on linux? Would be great to know, I haven't been following UE4.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      Is this just deployment or does the editor work on linux? Would be great to know, I haven't been following UE4.
      I haven't checked it yet. But UE4 Editor is just an application built on top of the Engine itself. It uses UE4-specific GUI toolkit called Slate that is may also be used for In-game menus. There is nothing platform-specific in the editor (apart from integration with IDE's - VS on Windows and XCode on OSX) so I think that even if editor isn't yet available for windows, it will be pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by MiKom View Post
        ... so I think that even if editor isn't yet available for windows, it will be pretty soon.
        I meant Linux there of course.

Comment

Originally posted by MiKom View Post
          I haven't checked it yet. But UE4 Editor is just an application built on top of the Engine itself. It uses UE4-specific GUI toolkit called Slate that is may also be used for In-game menus. There is nothing platform-specific in the editor (apart from integration with IDE's - VS on Windows and XCode on OSX) so I think that even if editor isn't yet available for windows, it will be pretty soon.
          thanks, that's the one info i've been trying to find out few times. it sheds light on editor and development under linux for ue4. source code being available just makes it more appealing than the rest, but i could never learn anything about linux workflow. you might've just costed leadwerks one license, lol

Comment

The editor will come to Linux sooner or later from what I have heard.

I'd love to have some free UE4 tech demos for benchmarking I think Michael would agree.

Comment

May be they can open source Unreal Engine 1? Then may be someone can finish porting Deus Ex to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                May be they can open source Unreal Engine 1? Then may be someone can finish porting Deus Ex to Linux.
                Meh. I'd take Klingon Honor Guard instead. That game was awesome and it was the first Unreal game made.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  The editor will come to Linux sooner or later from what I have heard.

I'd love to have some free UE4 tech demos for benchmarking I think Michael would agree.
                  Hmm UE4.1 comes with elemental demo, wonder if that have benchmark...

Comment

Even if UE4 gets half the titles as UE3 and if only half of those are ported to linux, this is still going to be huge.

It'd be really interesting if there will eventually be a test for PTS too. Considering the popularity of UE, it wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Working...
                    X