Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Voglperf Sees Its First Release

Phoronix: Valve's Voglperf Sees Its First Release

While the voglperf code has been public for some time within Git, the first initial release of Voglperf was tagged on Tuesday evening by a Valve developer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Valve pls, chop that code down.

Lets move to 95 percentile of frame time rendering.

FPS is just SO junk (and can actually result in less enjoyable gameplay experience due to occasional stuttering being masked by otherwise high fps...)

Comment

* 99 percentile

Like explained here:

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, added percentiles output to libframetime.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          Valve pls, chop that code down.

Lets move to 95 percentile of frame time rendering.

FPS is just SO junk (and can actually result in less enjoyable gameplay experience due to occasional stuttering being masked by otherwise high fps...)
          comes down to just spewing frame information (FPS, frame time and min/max values) every second.
          Using the frametime you can plot the 99th percentile.

Comment

Originally posted by clementl View Post
            Using the frametime you can plot the 99th percentile.
            But review sites (and anybody else) will still use FPS. So kill that FPS and put there those automatically calculated percentiles for given second

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              But review sites (and anybody else) will still use FPS. So kill that FPS and put there those automatically calculated percentiles for given second
              While stutters do more harm, the FPS is still usefull. A game running at a stable 40fps still plays better than a game running at a stable 25fps.

Comment

Originally posted by clementl View Post
                While stutters do more harm, the FPS is still usefull. A game running at a stable 40fps still plays better than a game running at a stable 25fps.
                Frame time already tells you the FPS: FPS = 1 second / Time per Frame

In other words, a game running at a stable 25ms per frame is going to play better than a game running at a stable 40ms per frame. And taking the 99 percentile of the frame time really tells you what the stable framerate is, not an average including stutters.

Comment

not sure how to use this tool. i've compiled it and it didn't error so I assume it got installed but when I launch "steam bin/voglperfrun64" like it states to do in the tutorial i don't see any message in the terminal output about a webserver starting. I did try to connect to it from another machine and got unable to connect so I don't think it's working. Can anyone help me please? I am on Xubuntu 14.04 64bit. I just want a FPS overlay for when I play The Witcher 2 for a youtube video I want to create.

Comment

i can't edit my previous post otherwise i would. i was misreading the directions. just make sure steam is running before you launch voglperf then go to a terminal, cd into the voglperf/bin/ directory and simply run ./voglperfrun64 if you're on 64bit OS or run ./voglperfrun32 if you're on 32bit OS. that's it, it's that easy to run. it's awesome I can see what FPS i'm getting in the witcher 2 and any other opengl game. thanks valve!

Comment

Working...
                    X