Ubisoft Is "Formulating A Linux Game Plan"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Temar View Post
    If DRM had a negative impact on sales, they would have abandoned it long ago. So it either has no impact on sales at all or it has a positive one. As it costs money to develop or buy a good DRM, it most likely has a positive impact on sales.

DRM is not used to calm down nervous managers, but simply because it works. It's a business decision and these decisions are based on money.

There is only a very small percentage of real customers who base their buying decision on DRM or NO DRM. Most real customers just don't care, but a lot of pirates use DRM as a cheap excuse for their actions.
    You're assuming that business people never let their own biases colour their perceptions and that they have access to perfect/omniscient (fantasy) market research.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
      You're assuming that business people never let their own biases colour their perceptions and that they have access to perfect/omniscient (fantasy) market research.
      No, I'm simply assuming that the business managers of a whole industry have a much better insight into their business than a random forum guy. If it helps your view of the world, you can continue to assume that every manager is a moron, who does not know anything about what he is doing. However, the fact that nearly every AAA title has DRM protection should at least give you something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
        Two words: Rocksmith 2014. It already has a mac port, and is the easiest/best way to learn electric guitar. Hell I'd buy a third full copy just to play it on Linux.
        This or the next version. This is the kind of title I think would work really well on the steambox. hint, hint.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
          Two words: Rocksmith 2014. It already has a mac port, and is the easiest/best way to learn electric guitar. Hell I'd buy a third full copy just to play it on Linux.
          Out of interest: Is it *really* possible to learn playing the guitar with that game?
          Having watched the video on the Ubisoft webpage, this feels like saying "learning to drive by playing Need 4 Speed"...

Comment

No, I'm simply assuming that the business managers of a whole industry have a much better insight into their business than a random forum guy. If it helps your view of the world, you can continue to assume that every manager is a moron, who does not know anything about what he is doing. However, the fact that nearly every AAA title has DRM protection should at least give you something to think about.
            And I'm assuming that they're human and as fallible as anyone else.

Given that...
            • The human tendency to throw good money after bad to avoid admitting error is so strong that organizational behaviour textbooks give it a non-trivial amount of focus.
            • Games, movies, and eBooks are very readily available on torrent sites despite DRM
            • Steam is attractive because of other features that come with the DRM and don't inherently depend on it
            • There's a huge and loyal fanbase for sites like GOG.com, Humble Store, and Baen.com, many of whom have explicitly stated that they choose to buy there because the sites treat them with respect and/or because of the DRM-freeness, sometimes paying even more than the non-sale prices elsewhere for that privilege.
            • I know tons of people (myself included) who either pay less for DRM-riddled content, wait for a DRM-free release (me), or pirate when they would have otherwise paid.
            • Many people who do buy DRMed stuff don't care either way about DRM as long as it's a non-hassle.

...I think it's safe to make the limited generalization that there exist more sales which DRM has prevented or delayed than ones which it has caused or hastened.

From the buyer's perspective, DRM is an anti-feature so, if piracy can provide a competing option without things like un-skippable trailers on a DVD or a 2013 SimCity game which can be played on the train to work, why wouldn't they be more likely to either wait for a GOG.com DRM-free release, wait longer for a deep-discount sale, or pirate?
            Last edited by ssokolow; 24 March 2014, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
              Out of interest: Is it *really* possible to learn playing the guitar with that game?
              Having watched the video on the Ubisoft webpage, this feels like saying "learning to drive by playing Need 4 Speed"...
              If it's possible to learn how to fly a 747 by a consumer-grade simulator...

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                If it's possible to learn how to fly a 747 by a consumer-grade simulator...
                I highly doubt it's possible to take off and, in particular, land a real machine with only a consumer-grade simulator.

Comment

Yes, those are morons and there is nothing to look for there except for stupidity. Soviet science for a long time had an enforced view of Lysenkoism. According to your logic, they weren't supposed to be morons. There were scientists! Yet, it was utter stupidity. Being a manager doesn't make anyone automatically smart.

See http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...ysenkoism.html

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    I highly doubt it's possible to take off and, in particular, land a real machine with only a consumer-grade simulator.
                    Lucky for them, they didn't take off (hijacked in flight), and didn't land either :P

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                      Yes, those are morons and there is nothing to look for there except for stupidity. Soviet science for a long time had an enforced view of Lysenkoism. According to your logic, they weren't supposed to be morons. There were scientists! Yet, it was utter stupidity. Being a manager doesn't make anyone automatically smart.

See http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...ysenkoism.html
                      Did you even read that article?

Soviet-era scientists were required, on pain of imprisonment, to endorse Lysenkoism...
                      You call them morons because they wanted to avoid imprisonment? Are you serious?

Comment

Working...
                      X