Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubisoft Is "Formulating A Linux Game Plan"

Phoronix: Ubisoft Is "Formulating A Linux Game Plan"

When at the Game Developer's Conference one of the leading questions from Phoronix readers via our forum was to find out about any Linux plans by Ubisoft...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why would we want Ubisoft on Linux? Last time I bought an Ubisoft game it came with their shitty DRM. The same day I bought it they decided move their DRM servers which made any game using their DRM unplayable. It took them almost a week to get it back up and running. I've already written them off. I refuse to buy any of their modern content. They claim they are dropping DRM but I can't believe it after the all the work to put into locking all their stuff down with such atrocious DRM in the past.

Comment

Ubisoft have some interesting titles, but usually poor code quality and of course the annoying DRM. They need to fix this if they want my money again. Even if they release Linux games.

Comment

Originally posted by migizi View Post
        Why would we want Ubisoft on Linux?
        Assassin's Creed Unity

The Division: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dORoTIEOyEg

Watch_Dogs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuAbH8Z8iwk

Comment

You don't want Ubisoft games on Linux because they use DRM... But Steam is a DRM too guys...

Comment

Originally posted by berillions View Post
            You don't want Ubisoft games on Linux because they use DRM... But Steam is a DRM too guys...
            It is DRM with value added. Ubisoft attempted to replicate Steam, but ended up creating a poor, unstable clone. Who needs a Steam clone when you're already running Steam? Nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by berillions View Post
              The issue isn't DRM, it's stupid DRM. Origin, Uplay, and other ones are really, really frustrating and actually deter people.
              Look online for BF3 or BF4 Origin issues.

Comment

As I said many times: Ubisoft, EA and some others - they will
                offer Linux versions fast in case Steam successfully conquered that OS.
                If Valve fails, they won't. Simple as that.
                They just have to watch Valve testing out the potential new market.
                It does not matter what they said nor does it matter what they say,
                all that matters is if Valve succeeds ... or fails.

Comment

the problem is not drm!

the problem is not drm, the real problem is millions of people make ilegal copies

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    the problem is not drm, the real problem is millions of people make ilegal copies
                    Then punish those people, not legitimate buyers. Or is the DRM supposed to stop them? Because it doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X