Ubisoft Is "Formulating A Linux Game Plan"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    I will never understand why DRM is still thing. It has literally never done anything to achieve the goal of people not copying games/movies.
    If DRM had a negative impact on sales, they would have abandoned it long ago. So it either has no impact on sales at all or it has a positive one. As it costs money to develop or buy a good DRM, it most likely has a positive impact on sales.

DRM is not used to calm down nervous managers, but simply because it works. It's a business decision and these decisions are based on money.

There is only a very small percentage of real customers who base their buying decision on DRM or NO DRM. Most real customers just don't care, but a lot of pirates use DRM as a cheap excuse for their actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
      YES! Well said!

That also reminded me of another classic case of DRM really disturbing only... legal users!
      http://i.imgur.com/GxzeV.jpg
      if they make me install Uplay steam-wannabe store, im not buying any game, will either wait for a cracked version that dosent require it or not play it at all.

i hate these wannabe steams, orign, uplay, InsertNameHere. They all suck and end up closing and you either have to move your games to the new service or lose it. they need to understand theres Steam, and then theres everything else no one gives a fuck about.

i heard that steam will alow itself to be just the backend if other stores, if this happens maybe they can finaly stop trying to force ppl to use theyr shit and just use steam like a standart like it should be.

Comment

i hate these wannabe steams, orign, uplay, InsertNameHere. They all suck and end up closing and you either have to move your games to the new service or lose it. they need to understand theres Steam, and then theres everything else no one gives a fuck about.

i heard that steam will alow itself to be just the backend if other stores, if this happens maybe they can finaly stop trying to force ppl to use theyr shit and just use steam like a standart like it should be.

Comment

All guys who hate DRM are extremist ...
          I had and i have never problems with Steam/Origin and UPlay so where is the problem to release games natively on Linux ...

Comment

Originally posted by berillions View Post
            All guys who hate DRM are extremist ...
            I had and i have never problems with Steam/Origin and UPlay so where is the problem to release games natively on Linux ...
            i have no problem with DRM. i have a problem if they try to force a shit version of it on us when we have a good version called steam.
            and im not talking only linux, windows and mac also...

if they made something better then steam or even equal i would consider, but even then i dont know since all my friends progress and stuff are on steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
              If DRM had a negative impact on sales, they would have abandoned it long ago. So it either has no impact on sales at all or it has a positive one. As it costs money to develop or buy a good DRM, it most likely has a positive impact on sales.

DRM is not used to calm down nervous managers, but simply because it works. It's a business decision and these decisions are based on money.

There is only a very small percentage of real customers who base their buying decision on DRM or NO DRM. Most real customers just don't care, but a lot of pirates use DRM as a cheap excuse for their actions.
              How can it not impact sales? Have you looked at some amazon ratings for some specific games?

http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B0030GG20I < I think they have improved after they removed drm?

There are many cases like that where they get a lot of negative attention.

http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B007VTVRFA/ and http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00CRN9UWC/
              Sure, the game wasn't that good, but most of the hate is for their DRM...

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                the problem is not drm, the real problem is millions of people make ilegal copies
                There are two choices: buy the game and get drm, copy the game and don't get drm
                Now why would I pay for a lesser experience? With steam I get a lot of added value: I can install with one click without any disks or backups, the game is updated in the background, I can easily add dlc. GOG is even better: no drm, almost automatic updates
                Uplay is horrible. Slow, cluttered, gets in the way and adds zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post

Source? Also, how is the entirety of GOG a small percentage?

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
                  No no, there's Steam, there are client-free services (Desura, GOG) and then there's everything else no one gives a goat about.

Comment

Ubisoft is notorious for DRM, but there are a few of their games available DRM-free on GOG. I wouldn't buy any of their games with DRM for sure.

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                    I will never understand why DRM is still thing. It has literally never done anything to achieve the goal of people not copying games/movies.
                    Steam is DRM. Why is it a thing? Is it really need to be explained again and again? DRM is unethical preemptive policing. It is a thing because it's evil and nasty. It's always a security and privacy threat and it has nothing to do with piracy. It's abused for gaining control over the market, to take away control from users and so on.
                    Steam is DRMed enough to avoid it altogether. I never use it.
                    Last edited by shmerl; 22 March 2014, 09:40 PM.

Comment

If we talk about stupid, rather than sinister DRM proponents, Cory Doctorow calls such DRM "digital Lysenkoism": http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...ysenkoism.html

Comment

Working...
                      X