Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by migizi View Post
    Why would we want Ubisoft on Linux?
    Two words: Rocksmith 2014. It already has a mac port, and is the easiest/best way to learn electric guitar. Hell I'd buy a third full copy just to play it on Linux.

Comment

yes i know that

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      Then punish those people, not legitimate buyers. Or is the DRM supposed to stop them? Because it doesn't.

yes i know that... i use crack in settlers because of this shit, i remeber when i buy the game i can t play it this things are a pain in ass for us but i understand game devs

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
        the problem is not drm, the real problem is millions of people make ilegal copies
        no, copyright infringement is not the problem, copyright infringement is merely a symptom of a high barrier to entry that manages to overcome the significant barrier to entry for copyright infringement.

Just for example, let's say there's some TV show that you want to watch. If it's available through copyright owner, either for a low fee (preferably in a netflix style) or ad supported then the average user is more likely to go directly to the source as opposed to finding some shady video hosting site or waiting for hours to download from the 'bay, and they're less likely to resort to youtube because they get easy access to all of the episodes right there as opposed to finding parts of seasons and having to hunt the whole season down bit by bit, and if you provide features like streaming as it's being aired on TV all the more reason for them to come to you. Even the people who refuse to pay for anything are going to come to you because it's less chance of getting a virus.

How does this relate to games?
        Well obviously most companies aren't going to give away their games for free, however that doesn't mean that they can't incentivise people to use legal services, and lower barriers to entry. For example post your game to at least all 3 major digital distribution stores (Steam, GOG, and Desura) that way you hit as much of the market as you can and give people options. the other thing is NO DRM, beyond possibly steamworks when using steam, DRM massively raises the barrier to entry making people much more prone to infringe copyright than without. Put your games on sale from time to time, most of the games that I have bought, I did so primarily because they were on sale and they looked interesting. Finally do demos and free weekends, there have been any number of games I just haven't bought because I didn't want to gamble on whether it's good or not.

Now obviously this isn't a complete list but the point is that it's up to the developer to make me want to buy their game, as opposed to trying to block me from obtaining it through other sources and as a result harming the experience of people purchasing through them, while not really stopping those who would infringe their copyright anyway

Comment

Originally posted by migizi View Post
          Why would we want Ubisoft on Linux? Last time I bought an Ubisoft game it came with their shitty DRM. The same day I bought it they decided move their DRM servers which made any game using their DRM unplayable. It took them almost a week to get it back up and running. I've already written them off. I refuse to buy any of their modern content. They claim they are dropping DRM but I can't believe it after the all the work to put into locking all their stuff down with such atrocious DRM in the past.
          So the Linux versions can later show up on GOG with the DRM removed.

(GOG is preparing to add Linux to their list of supported platforms this fall and, as that link shows, there are 44 Ubisoft games already in the GOG catalog, including titles as recent as Rayman Origins.)

Comment

Originally posted by berillions View Post
            You don't want Ubisoft games on Linux because they use DRM... But Steam is a DRM too guys...
            Not all DRM is created equal. Steam's terms are quite agreeable.

Ubisoft and EA's DRM is by no means acceptable and this shows in the sales data of titles available on Steam, Origin and UPlay. Given the option Steam pretty much always makes up the lion's share of the copies sold, with some data showing Steam selling more copies then all other shops combined.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
              Two words: Rocksmith 2014. It already has a mac port, and is the easiest/best way to learn electric guitar. Hell I'd buy a third full copy just to play it on Linux.
              Pretty much actually. It's the only Ubisoft title most people are interested in that aren't kids that want Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs. Still better then EA's interesting ideas with terrible executions *glares at Spore*.

Comment

I hope they'll leave their shitty DRM on Windows. Otherwise I am still not interested in any Ubisoft titles.
                DRM only harms the paying customer.
                GOG is fine, just buy it, download, install, have fun. As it should be. Or the old id titles.

A cracked, unlicensed copy:
                Download, install, play and have no troubles with sudden crashes. Some problems with the sound already fixed.

A licensed copy you bought on DVD:
                First install.
                It wants administrator (root) rights. Why ever it needs this...
                Then you wonder why the hell you can't just install it but have to install some strange additional software.
                What? Now you have to deinstall some CD/DVD burning application. Somehow the game does not like the existance of it.
                Then you have to download something. Ah, more. Why did you buy it on DVD when you still have gigs to download?
                Oh noes. Online activation.
                Type in 30 digit codes. Fail. Something went wrong.
                Ah, the activation servers seem to be offline.
                OMG, hopefully they are not switched off for good. You could never activate and play your copy then. So is it 50 Euros for the trash?
                Hours later maybe something works. Several tries later it seems to accept your key after first accusing you to have an unlicensed copy.
                But you had to enter a lot of personal data. And data that you haven't entered was also sent.
                So you want to play, huh? But you have to be online. So no playing during travels or in places where you just don't have internet. (which is still > than places with internet)
                If the connection fails or the game thinks the DVD is not correctly inserted in the drive, the game crashes. Even though you did your best to fulfill the requirements.
                And then there are bugs with the sound.
                Now you are watching an uninterruptable advertisement trailer, logos, and some anti piracy thing.
                Strange that they tell you this since you just f.ing bought it. But now you actually wonder if an unlicensed copy would have been better...
                After some days you come to the following conclusion:
                The game is mediocre. (Maybe it even looks like a sloppy port to the PC from a gaming console. *shudder*)
                The game looks like ten games you have played before.
                The game is buggy.
                The game crashes sometimes. Suddenly.
                You can't sell it since it is now bound to your person and your computer hardware.
                You can't install it on any other computer. Only on this one.
                One day the activation servers will be offline forever. The reinstallation will be impossible.
                You noticed that you cannot burn CDs anymore. Not just because it wanted you to deinstall a software, no - it seemed to have messed with your ATAPI drivers.
                The game is of course only available for MS Windows.

You just wasted 50 Euros (let that be about 65 USD) for a game that is not half as good as praised, that messed up your system and infested it with DRM shit. You start to wonder if you were trapped by some computer criminals cleverly hiding behind selling a game to you just to infest your computer and get personal data and money from you.

This is the reason why I stopped gaming - or buying new games a long time ago. I lived from my old classics (and very very few selected titles). Until I found the HIB and GOG. This, finally, was gaming as it should be again. Fair prices, no DRM. Download, install, have fun. And money going more directly to the very developers (or if you want charity in case of HIB).
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

DRM really disturbing only... legal users!

YES! Well said!

That also reminded me of another classic case of DRM really disturbing only... legal users!

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    the problem is not drm, the real problem is millions of people make ilegal copies
                    They* do make illegal copies right? They do it right now.
                    So what is DRM for?
                    I do only buy DRM free games and/or games with cracks because i refuse borrowing software and being dependent on internet connection without any reason. In case all the stuff will be streamed (browser,gaikai etc) i won't buy any games. It is that easy.
                    Again: What is DRM for?

*millions ... sure. Some funny EA guy told 95% of people playing a game did not buy it some years ago. SUUUURE.

Comment

Summary:
                      • Steam is not DRM. Steam provides optional DRM. Everyone distributing a game through steam can choose whether to use their DRM
                      • Steam's DRM is not good, after all it is DRM, but at least it works relatively painless.
                      • DRM has literally no effect whatsoever on illegal copies. Try it yourself: Go to google (!!) and type in the name of any game or movie + "download" and you will be able to download a copy with the DRM removed. (Not multiplayer games of course but they don't need drm, they can check on the server side for a simple unique serial number)

I will never understand why DRM is still thing. It has literally never done anything to achieve the goal of people not copying games/movies.

Comment

Working...
                      X