Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Details On Crytek's CRYENGINE Linux Engine Port

Phoronix: Details On Crytek's CRYENGINE Linux Engine Port

One of the big announcements this week at GDC was Crytek finally announcing CRYENGINE on Linux. The visually impressive CRYENGINE that powers many popular titles will be natively available on Linux. I spoke with a lead Crytek Linux developer at the Game Developer's Conference about their great engine on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One thing that i don't like too much about CRYENGINE and Source (and possibly also the efforts in UE4) is this thing of a D3D -> OGL translation layer...

IMHO, is reducing performance...and in the end, it's almost as the same as WINE....well, not exactly the same because "only" that is translated and i guess the rest is pure native, not to mention possibly a lot of optimisizations in that translation layer , but still, i would prefer pure OGL....

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
      One thing that i don't like too much about CRYENGINE and Source (and possibly also the efforts in UE4) is this thing of a D3D -> OGL translation layer...

IMHO, is reducing performance...and in the end, it's almost as the same as WINE....well, not exactly the same because "only" that is translated and i guess the rest is pure native, not to mention possibly a lot of optimisizations in that translation layer , but still, i would prefer pure OGL....
      Afaik, Valve (Source) already tansitioned to a pure OpenGL renderer. I guess/hope Crytek will follow, but for now that should be fine.

Btw. from all major game-engines only Frostbite (3) is missing, isn't it? At least, DICE showed a Linux-friendly attitude

EDIT: Ok, idTech 5 (and the gamis using it) would be nice, too. Ironically enough, that this engine was the most likely one to be ported some years ago, and now ... lol :P
      Last edited by alexThunder; 21 March 2014, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Since Valve's togl translates HLSL -> GLSL at the bytecode level it is in no way comparable to wine . Togl should get you native speeds.
        Last edited by blackout23; 21 March 2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Mapping D3D to OGL calls is really naive approach. Of course it is the simplest solution, but it reduce performance a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            Since Valve's togl translates HLSL -> GLSL at the bytecode level it is in no way comparable to wine . Togl should get you native speeds.
            Assuming no optimization potential gets lost in the process. But then they said they write all their stuff in a subset of HLSL that is made "compatible" with GLSL with macros and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
              Afaik, Valve (Source) already tansitioned to a pure OpenGL renderer. I guess/hope Crytek will follow, but for now that should be fine.
              Source 2 is D3D right now but I think they have plans to port it over to OGL.

Comment

EDIT: Ok, idTech 5 (and the gamis using it) would be nice, too. Ironically enough, that this engine was the most likely one to be ported some years ago, and now ... lol :P
                Oh the supreme irony indeed

JC will eat his own words

Comment

Source, no (togl is taken directly from dota2, which is their game using the most up-to-date source). Maybe Source2 will have native opengl support.

IMHO, is reducing performance...
                  At least according to valve, togl is ~20% faster than native directx in apples:apples comparisons.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Wine is native, it gives you native speeds by way of being native.

Comment

Working...
                    X