No announcement yet.

It's Time To Ask Your Linux Gaming Questions For GDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone from GuildSoftware should be around there, as should someone from i-Novae studios. Would be nice if you could get some informations from them about future plans...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I too want to know this. I'd also like to know if games will be built around wayland, what to do about existing games built around X, and if the graphical server even matters when it comes to fullscreen games.

@log0:
      I'm sure AMD will have no reason to update their catalyst drivers once the open source drivers have officially obsoleted them. Removing support for catalyst as of right now would be a seriously poor decision on their part. Also, I'm not sure if the open source drivers have any support at all for AMD's workstation GPUs. I don't see why they wouldn't, but I've never heard of anyone trying a fireGL/firePro on the open source drivers.
      I'd love to see/hear some official response from AMD you know. And no I am not asking them to get rid of Catalyst immediately, just expressing my extreme preference for the Mesa driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
        WIll nvidia finally join the nouveau party? I'm sick of their buggy driver... (very specific usecase, but nouveau handles it, blob doesn't; go figure)
        You can hardly call it buggy if you know of only 1 bug.

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
        Any plans for valve to work with the nine state tracker (push it upstream), ship a custom wine and bring older games to linux?
        Here's something from Gabe's recent Reddit AMA:
        Hello Gabe and all, thanks for doing this AMA! Are there any plans to offer a solution so that we can legitimately run WINE instances of Windows games on GNU/Linux through the native GNU/Linux Steam client? Thank you (That is to say, right now we need to run Steam Windows on Linux as well through WINE in order to run any Windows games, which gets troublesome)

Gabe: WINE is definitely a useful tool for some things, but we're taking what we think is a more sustainable position by asking game developers to support Linux and SteamOS natively, for current and future titles. We think this is mostly what gamers want, too. It puts more power into the hands of developers and will result in better quality games in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by clementl View Post
          That sounds like avoiding the question...

Comment

Not particular a gaming question but targeted to some other folks that you might meet at GDC.

I'd like to know if the open-source supporting companies (AMD, intel, etc.) are interested to attract
            more community developers for their GPU drivers and infrastructure (MESA, DDX, Wayland stuff, etc.).
            Since I guess that is the case, do they have ideas how to improve on the current situation?

Things that come to my mind are "More and better documentation", "Hands on tutorials"
            and even the "GPU Book*" which seems to be dead at present.
            Investing manpower in projects like this probably pays mid- to long-term
            but they might disagree (would be interesting though).

[*] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTIxMDk
            Last edited by entropy; 20 March 2014, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Hi Michael,

If Ubisoft guys are present in SF for the GDC, you can ask them if they are plans in the future for Linux/SteamOS ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by berillions View Post
                Hi Michael,

If Ubisoft guys are present in SF for the GDC, you can ask them if they are plans in the future for Linux/SteamOS ?

Thanks
                I second this question but also for EA (plans to bring Origin-only titles to Linux)?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  That sounds like avoiding the question...
                  No, sounds like they want developers to make native versions of their games.

Comment

Originally posted by clementl View Post
                    You can hardly call it buggy if you know of only 1 bug.
                    Right, thought again and got : "I don't like the blob".

Key part of what you quoted : " for current and future titles", key part from my question : "older games"...
                    Mind you, I do agree with that statement.

Comment

splintercell original plot (provided by russian deleted missions) version would be a must.

Comment

Working...
                      X