• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by archibald View Post
    A lot of games use a 3D engine for a 2D game
    Sure.

Trine being one particularly prominent example.
    Yes, a particular bad one.
    Trine is not a 2D game.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
      How would cryengine be for a 2D sidescroller? I was looking at unity but at 9 bucks a month and announced linux support this is hard to pass up.
      You're making something that is well within the capabilities of tens of FOSS engines. You would only lose by going to a proprietary engine - no source, fees, possibly other requirements such as advertising the engine in loading screen. As well as any fixes you made would then benefit the respective ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
        Trine is not a 2D game.
        Good point, I assumed that the OP intended to have 3D graphics but have the game played in two. That being said, I do like the idea of using cryengine to produce a game with like Thomas Was Alone, if only to make the renderer developers slap their foreheads ans sigh :-D

Comment

Good point, I assumed that the OP intended to have 3D graphics but have the game played in two. That being said, I do like the idea of using cryengine to produce a game with like Thomas Was Alone, if only to make the renderer developers slap their foreheads ans sigh :-D
          That would be 2.5D, that's different from 2D.

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel
            10 bucks per user per month, and that's a whole different story! Also, hell if I know who's a user by their definition!
            Which is exactly what I said above. If user refers to a developer and you're working in your own, it would be 10 bucks a month.

If user refers to the actual enduser of your game you'll need to earn some serious cash. Without some kind of subscription based model you won't be earning close to 10$/user/month.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              That would be 2.5D, that's different from 2D.
              We can argue forever about that, apparently, since according to wikipedia 2.5D can mean about anything. As far as I?m concerned I?ve only seen it used for games with 3D graphics but 2D gameplay. Thomas Was Alone has 2D graphics and 2D gameplay, but uses 3D hardware (I guess)?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                As far as I?m concerned I?ve only seen it used for games with 3D graphics but 2D gameplay. Thomas Was Alone has 2D graphics and 2D gameplay, but uses 3D hardware (I guess)?
                That's my view as well. 3D graphics + 2D gameplay = 2.5D. 2D graphics + 2D gameplay = 2D, no matter how it uses the hardware (otherwise my card game would be a 2.5D game, because it uses OpenGL )

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  That's my view as well. 3D graphics + 2D gameplay = 2.5D. 2D graphics + 2D gameplay = 2D, no matter how it uses the hardware (otherwise my card game would be a 2.5D game, because it uses OpenGL )
                  I've only ever seen the term 2.5D in reference to games that mix 2D and 3D graphics, like many point and click adventures and some jrpgs do. Mostly prerendered backgrounds with 3D characters. But I guess it could be stretched to mean anything "more than 2D, less than 3D". Underlying technology shouldn't matter though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
                    Which is exactly what I said above. If user refers to a developer and you're working in your own, it would be 10 bucks a month.

If user refers to the actual enduser of your game you'll need to earn some serious cash. Without some kind of subscription based model you won't be earning close to 10$/user/month.
                    But without a subscription model, there's no way you can know how many months your users are playing the game. Which means that the fee is per developer (per user of the SDK).

Comment

Originally posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
                      They also announced that their engine will support Mantle. And since Mantle should be open source and cross-platform, it gives hope that we can finally have something that will kill DirectX and OpenGL.
                      Mantle doesn't kill OpenGL.

Comment

Working...
                      X