Unreal Engine 4 Released, Source Code For $19 + Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unity

Good choice of them to make Unreal Engine available on GitHub (albeit private), and to make it this cheap.

Because Unity have gained a lot of popularity among hobbyists because its cheap and easy to get.

Perhaps Unigine and CryEngine should follow suit?

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
      Also The Witcher 2 RPG!!

Oh and they confirmed to me that the Unreal Engine 4 editor will work on Linux, so you will be able to build UE4 games natively:
      So, this is massive news and yet another reason why games not having a Linux version should become a thing of the past. Epic Games has announced Unreal Engine 4 with Linux support and not just in exporting, the toolkit will be native too.

Big day to be a Linux user!
      Yay the witcher 2, looking forward for that.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Yea, I'd love to finally see Unreal III. UE4 having Linux support is nice and all, but without games, what's the point Also, in the video in the article, the first thing that was shown (and was on camera for a while) was the Unreal II cover, followed by a lot of things related exclusively to the Unreal (Tournament) series, so maybe it's a hint? Also of note is that it's currently the 10th anniversary of the release of Unreal Tournament 2004.

Unrelated to the engine, near the end of the presentation, Sweeney said that Epic is not currently working on a new Unreal Tournament title, focusing instead on the previously announced Fortnite.
        They've said they are not working on a new UT.

Comment

Originally posted by ltcommander.data View Post
          http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...ith-5-royalty/

Unreal is not Unreal Tournament. Two different games. But yeah I still don't think they're going to ever make an Unreal 3. The series was never that good to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by ltcommander.data View Post
            http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...ith-5-royalty/

Obviously; if they were, they would have announced it. The thing that matters is whether they have any plans for that after Fortnite (and I'd rather they were for Unreal III, not Unreal Tournament 4).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Good choice of them to make Unreal Engine available on GitHub (albeit private), and to make it this cheap.

Because Unity have gained a lot of popularity among hobbyists because its cheap and easy to get.

Perhaps Unigine and CryEngine should follow suit?
              I wonder, does that make UE4 open source? It kind of is, but kind of isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                I think in general open source means having the source under an open source license.

I am wondering anyway who would contribute back, assuming that source is under copyright and eula, so you would be working for Epic for free...

Still very interesting for indie devs imho.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  I am wondering anyway who would contribute back, assuming that source is under copyright and eula, so you would be working for Epic for free...
                  For same reason why companies contribute to Linux kernel: because it's expensive to support own branch of engine and it's easier to push some features into mainline so it's Epic will support this code in future.

Also keep in mind that % of budget spend on programming is pretty small in game development. Most of money going into assets creation so for studious/publishers that's don't have middleware licensing business it's not critical to return some changes to Epic.

Comment

So it was true afterall that this generation was the last game console generation

Just kidding. But just as Android eventually took over the market from iPhone, SteamOS will eventually also take over the market from consoles.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      No it doesn't. Open source requires the source to be publicly available, not just to a select group of people. Also, open source entails the permission for anyone to redistribute a modified version.

Comment

Working...
                      X