Valve Is Showing Off A New Steam Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by log0 View Post
    I don't get this whole controller thing tbh. They are using off-the-shelf parts for hardware and software, could also go with XBOX or PS controller derivatives. Wasting time on their own controller seems like some pointless marketing/signature idea.

Well the original controller they promoted was innovative so it was worthy of a release. I was intending to buy one even though I may not have a Steambox. Now they have gone off tracks. Adding button is desperate and probably to reduce costs of not having a LCD and the driver chips.

I only had a quick read but it seems they are hashing out various controller combinations and maybe picking then. Just stick with the first one announced to public and stop this division and desperation.

Comment

I don't get this whole controller thing tbh. They are using off-the-shelf parts for hardware and software, could also go with XBOX or PS controller derivatives. Wasting time on their own controller seems like some pointless marketing/signature idea.
      Remember that Steam currently mainly sells PC games. The controller was the largest obstacle of this whole project. The needed a controller-like device to play PC games with.

Comment

Originally posted by clementl View Post
        Remember that Steam currently mainly sells PC games. The controller was the largest obstacle of this whole project. The needed a controller-like device to play PC games with.
        Because there are no controllers/gamepads available for PCs?

Comment

Because there are no controllers/gamepads available for PCs?
          None that work great with games that are designed to be controlled with a mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
            Just stick with the first one announced to public and stop this division and desperation.
            Yes because incorporating market feedback into the design, which was the entire goal of the beta units, is clearly and act of "division and desperation"

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
              Much prefer the original design they promoted. This one with no LCD and old style 2 x 4 button diamond array, I would NOT purchase.

Do they really understand the importance of standards? If they release hicklety pickle standards then gamers will not be measured between each other for talent as it will come down to what controllers they have.
              They have been very clear from the start that they plan to treat their hardware like software - with frequent updates to match what consumer feedback requests.

You may as well complain that they let people buy different steam boxes and some of them will be faster than others.

That's what they view as their strength, not a weakness. You should stick with the playstation or xbox if you feel differently.

This design still has the 2 trackpads to provide mouse support, which is what was original about it anyway. Who cares about some LCD?
              Last edited by smitty3268; 15 March 2014, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Who cares about some LCD?
                The thing is it was a touchscreen. So it could emulate buttons (like the ones on this prototype), a trackpad, a keyboard, show in-game stats, ...

Comment

Damn edit limit...
                  to match what consumer feedback requests.
                  They did never produce the ones with the touchscreen, only some with 4(?) buttons instead. So there never was customer feedback for this.

Comment

...This design still has the 2 trackpads to provide mouse support, which is what was original about it anyway. Who cares about some LCD?
                    The innovative thing was the trackpads could be used for button style too, depending on Game-Developers thinking beyond the square. Example think about how you could play Street Fighter in the original controller, it would put more emphasis on natural flow! With the changed design, it simply become a schizophrenic controller with literal buttons pushing aside the new innovative pads, crazy.

The LCD also playing into the course of heads-up at the player's hand. Similar to WiiU controller (yeah I know it wasn't popular a console.) LCD's are dirt cheap at the size originally shown.

Comment

In a nutshell they wanted a controller that would map well to a keyboard and mouse so that the many games on Steam that don't support controllers could be played in the living room from the couch. There is a fairly in depth video on the development process here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfN5...KFtqR9TeZWMPjm

Comment

Working...
                      X